Off work

Hi,

I had a meltdown in work three weeks ago and have been off work since. There had been some changes to my job and I just couldn't cope. My sick note runs out on Thursday. My doctor recommended that Ocuppational Health are involved. Work referred me to ATOS for 'telephone counselling'. When they contacted me they said it was most likely to be with someone who has no exprience of Aspergers and no specific knowledge about my actual job.They agreed with me that Occupational Health should be involved first. I have emailed my manager this.

I am really worried about going back to work. I don't want to go. I am just about keeping it together not going to work but everthing seems too much. I am just about keeping my depression at bay. I am anxious all the time. Home doesn't feel safe, I struggle with the noise from the neighbours still. Everything seems such a mess and I don't feel able to change things.

I have been keeping it all together for the past forty years but it just doesn't seem sustainable and I just can't manage. If itwasn't for my girlfriend I would be in an even worse position. I feel bad that I am being so useless and depending on her so much.

I don't feel in the best place to try and sort the problems at work out.

:-(

Parents
  • Hi Jon

Im glad to hear that the depression is not so bad and I really hope that you continue to improve.

I know you are right that you cant return to work without employer support and believe me, it really is their responsibility to do that. I am a boss myself and I would be ashamed of myself if I acted as your bsses are, you must feel so undervalued! I also know that I have a legal responsibility to ensure that the health, safety and welfare of my staff are uppermost in my mind. I have a duty to make myself aware of any difficulties that staff encounter and support them in any way that I can; after all, I expect them to do a good job for me.Smile

Like you, my sons disability is unseen and his employers are obviously not bothered that they have caused his illness.

The legal aspect of this is that if the company make it so difficult that you cant return and you have done everything that you can to try to educate them on your condition, then there may be a case for case of constructive dismissal, your union should be able to advise you on this or ACAS.

In terms of OH, my sons company wanted him to see their own OH nurse but I have requested an independent assessment just to make sure that things are fair, of course, nothing has materialised.

Yes, please keep me updated, I know that you have a very supportive partner and that is so important, but if you will allow me, I can support at a distance.

Just take care Jon

• Hi Jon

Im glad to hear that the depression is not so bad and I really hope that you continue to improve.

I know you are right that you cant return to work without employer support and believe me, it really is their responsibility to do that. I am a boss myself and I would be ashamed of myself if I acted as your bsses are, you must feel so undervalued! I also know that I have a legal responsibility to ensure that the health, safety and welfare of my staff are uppermost in my mind. I have a duty to make myself aware of any difficulties that staff encounter and support them in any way that I can; after all, I expect them to do a good job for me.Smile

Like you, my sons disability is unseen and his employers are obviously not bothered that they have caused his illness.

The legal aspect of this is that if the company make it so difficult that you cant return and you have done everything that you can to try to educate them on your condition, then there may be a case for case of constructive dismissal, your union should be able to advise you on this or ACAS.

In terms of OH, my sons company wanted him to see their own OH nurse but I have requested an independent assessment just to make sure that things are fair, of course, nothing has materialised.

Yes, please keep me updated, I know that you have a very supportive partner and that is so important, but if you will allow me, I can support at a distance.

Just take care Jon

Children
No Data