My relationship crumbling before my eyes!

I haven’t felt comfortable at home for a while, but hoped that getting a diagnosis would help. It hasn’t. I’m not listened to, not taken seriously, everything I say gets contradicted. I think I have a gift for reading people and it’s hard to watch your partners mother manipulate and control her, and now ur child, without being able to say anything. Every time I speak up I’m just shut down and its put down to my mental health issues. 

Parents
  • Her mother sounds dreadful, that she finds the need to put you down, and use your mental health condition against you to dismiss anything you have to say, and devalue you. That's just plain wrong. No one's mental health has ever improved by being put down and silenced. 

I think that because your partner has not stood up for you against her mother, and your partner has not tried to improve your living standards and has not created a better environment for you to ease your mental health condition, it makes me think that your partner might have a sort of codependency and she enables her mother's bad behaviors, which kind of puts you in a sort of danger, because anything bad her mother does towards you gets ignored, and that could lead to further deterioration of your mental health, which jeopardizes all other areas of your life, and what impacts you will also trickle down to impact your child's standard of living as well.

Having a hostile human being around you all the time who's bullying you is not good for you (or anyone for that matter). Talking sense into a bully does not work, because they only listen to themselves. They don't value anything you have to say, and they will not likely change, and even if you become a billionaire and think they'll respect you now, they'll just bully or con you out of your money, but they still won't value anything about you. 

Tolerate them until you can get away from them. Either take your family and move out, or her mother has to leave (kick her out), so that you can work on improving your mental health and spend more time with your partner and your child. 

• I offered a coping strategy, this is a management strategy, that I wish I'd comprehended many years ago! Thank you very much Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. 

Reply Children
No Data