Clothing

Hi everyone,

Do you have a sense of style and clear expression of your identity and tastes in your clothing? I really struggle to form a clear style and I end up feeling scruffy instead of purposefully put together. I've been looking at capsule wardrobes to see if I can fix this and find a bit of fashion sense. Curious if anyone else struggles with this? It doesn't help that I have to go into shops and feel everything, try the fit etc and can't just shop online like a lot of people do these days. 

This has stemmed from me wanting to make a good impression in my new job, which has a bit more of a formal dress code than my last one.

Parents
  • I have a system! I was forced to work this out as I lived in LA for some time and individuals get hired according to their wardrobe 'choices'. This took me a little time to learn and thankfully I've worked on enough film sets to inquire with wardrobe departments. 

1. You need to assess what styles/colours you like (and suit) and there are a few ways to do this. A woman I knew who worked in wardrobe/fashion bought magazines, cut out the styles and colour palettes she liked and sticky taped them to a section of the wall. You could also peel through fashion books at the library from over the last 100 years and work out what you're simply attracted to, take photos. Once you have set perimeters for a style and colour palette, begin to focus on locating who's making these or spend time in charity shops if you don't mind wearing 2nd hand. 

2. This takes a little time, but it's a good investment. Also one must commit, things tend to go wrong when I see something that's just gorgeous but won't go with anything I own. I can't afford to build an alternate wardrobe and also, humans judge us on appearance, so I'm quite specific & just appreciate interesting things like I would a painting at a gallery.

3. An alternate solution and one I have gone with for a few different 5-10 years of my life is to locate a shop I like (which suits the parameters) and only buy their line. This works with independent shops and takes a few adventures or following individuals on Instagram. This is also excellent for added items like socks. I've found one organic company I like who stocks socks I like and only buy from them.

At one point in my life I realised I only needed a few shoes. Works perfect with a restricted wardrobe set in stone.  A pair of black docs, a comfortable pair of lower (and no one else has them) heels (maybe another - but never buy basic), nude-pink sandals, interesting trainers & aubergine wellies.

In High School I desperately wished I could go to a school with uniforms. I could never work out how to put clothes together in the morning and my mother wouldn't let me wear just black. Still a wee bit bitter about that LOL

• I have a system! I was forced to work this out as I lived in LA for some time and individuals get hired according to their wardrobe 'choices'. This took me a little time to learn and thankfully I've worked on enough film sets to inquire with wardrobe departments. 

1. You need to assess what styles/colours you like (and suit) and there are a few ways to do this. A woman I knew who worked in wardrobe/fashion bought magazines, cut out the styles and colour palettes she liked and sticky taped them to a section of the wall. You could also peel through fashion books at the library from over the last 100 years and work out what you're simply attracted to, take photos. Once you have set perimeters for a style and colour palette, begin to focus on locating who's making these or spend time in charity shops if you don't mind wearing 2nd hand. 

2. This takes a little time, but it's a good investment. Also one must commit, things tend to go wrong when I see something that's just gorgeous but won't go with anything I own. I can't afford to build an alternate wardrobe and also, humans judge us on appearance, so I'm quite specific & just appreciate interesting things like I would a painting at a gallery.

3. An alternate solution and one I have gone with for a few different 5-10 years of my life is to locate a shop I like (which suits the parameters) and only buy their line. This works with independent shops and takes a few adventures or following individuals on Instagram. This is also excellent for added items like socks. I've found one organic company I like who stocks socks I like and only buy from them.

At one point in my life I realised I only needed a few shoes. Works perfect with a restricted wardrobe set in stone.  A pair of black docs, a comfortable pair of lower (and no one else has them) heels (maybe another - but never buy basic), nude-pink sandals, interesting trainers & aubergine wellies.

In High School I desperately wished I could go to a school with uniforms. I could never work out how to put clothes together in the morning and my mother wouldn't let me wear just black. Still a wee bit bitter about that LOL

Children
No Data