Clothing

Hi everyone,

Do you have a sense of style and clear expression of your identity and tastes in your clothing? I really struggle to form a clear style and I end up feeling scruffy instead of purposefully put together. I've been looking at capsule wardrobes to see if I can fix this and find a bit of fashion sense. Curious if anyone else struggles with this? It doesn't help that I have to go into shops and feel everything, try the fit etc and can't just shop online like a lot of people do these days. 

This has stemmed from me wanting to make a good impression in my new job, which has a bit more of a formal dress code than my last one.

Parents
  • I feel like I'm beginning to get there. Finding out about the Autism made things a lot clearer for me. I used to be a costumier, I gave it up because I wasn't able to cope. I went into 'normal' jobs, retail, admin etc, and got more miserable as the time passed. The more depressed I got, the more I stopped doing what I enjoyed. Last year, around the same time I found out that I was probably autistic, I discovered Historybounding. I also saw the bushfires back home and realised that I wanted to make some environmental changes. Now, while nothing is happening at work, I'm focusing on bringing my sewing skills up to scratch, I'm going to focus on period garments for myself which will help me to re-learn dress history and also give me something to wear. I'll also use natural fibres so I know that I'm doing something to help the environment. It ticks many boxes for me and just generally makes me happy.

• I'm going to focus on period garments for myself

I'm a big fan of Victorian and Edwardian dress - great silhouettes - but not really useful for the daily grind.

• Daily grind for me unfortunately involves a uniform. I'm starting simple with a 1930s apron. Washing dishes is a bit of a messy business, it's also a bit like physiotherapy for me as it's been so long and difficult getting to this point. I've also got me eye on a waistcoat from the 1600s which looks like it would go well with my existing clothes.

• Daily grind for me unfortunately involves a uniform. I'm starting simple with a 1930s apron. Washing dishes is a bit of a messy business, it's also a bit like physiotherapy for me as it's been so long and difficult getting to this point. I've also got me eye on a waistcoat from the 1600s which looks like it would go well with my existing clothes.

Children