Waiting to hear back about my referral

Hello,

I asked to get referred to get assessed for autism just 3 weeks ago. After I sent my doctor some information about why I want to get assessed, I received a text conformation from her saying she would refer me but have not heard anything since.

I'm wondering how long it took other people to hear back.

I'm very paranoid about this because a couple of years ago, I went to hospital with a physical ailment and they said they would refer me to get some tests done I needed, I waited months and finally asked my doctor surgery about it and they said I had no active referrals; I had to get a doctors appointment to ask again to get referred for the tests. I don't want to be waiting for nothing again, but I don't know if phoning up my doctors is an overreaction since it's only been 3 weeks. I also wouldn't know what to say and making phone calls is difficult for me.

Parents
  • The doctor said he would refer me but I received no confirmation by text or post. I heard nothing for about 2 months and I didn't know whether anything was happening and also struggle with just picking up the phone to find out, so I just kept wondering whether the referral had really been done until finally I received a letter saying a phone interview had been booked for me.

So it is possible that something is happening without them actually writing to you yet. It probably depends on your area and NHS trust and council because each area will be run slightly different, but in my experience the NHS is mildly incompetent and not very good at keeping the patient informed.

• Yes I had something similar to that happen to me. I've been referred for something else before and also didn't hear anything for a few months until I got an appointment, so I suppose something like that is happening again. I also feel my doctors and local hospital are mildly incompetent in the admin department, they never keep me updated either haha.

I tried to phone yesterday but I find phone calls hard too, so I panicked and hung up before they answered. I'm going to try again today though :]

• Yes I had something similar to that happen to me. I've been referred for something else before and also didn't hear anything for a few months until I got an appointment, so I suppose something like that is happening again. I also feel my doctors and local hospital are mildly incompetent in the admin department, they never keep me updated either haha.

I tried to phone yesterday but I find phone calls hard too, so I panicked and hung up before they answered. I'm going to try again today though :]

Children
No Data