Waiting to hear back about my referral

Hello,

I asked to get referred to get assessed for autism just 3 weeks ago. After I sent my doctor some information about why I want to get assessed, I received a text conformation from her saying she would refer me but have not heard anything since.

I'm wondering how long it took other people to hear back.

I'm very paranoid about this because a couple of years ago, I went to hospital with a physical ailment and they said they would refer me to get some tests done I needed, I waited months and finally asked my doctor surgery about it and they said I had no active referrals; I had to get a doctors appointment to ask again to get referred for the tests. I don't want to be waiting for nothing again, but I don't know if phoning up my doctors is an overreaction since it's only been 3 weeks. I also wouldn't know what to say and making phone calls is difficult for me.

• update 2: got a message back saying make a GP appointment to ask about my referral. I don't want to do that because I feel it's a waste of a GPs time, this just an admin question.

• update: used the NHS app to message my surgery today, asking them to confirm that my referral was sent. Waiting to hear back

• Yes I had something similar to that happen to me. I've been referred for something else before and also didn't hear anything for a few months until I got an appointment, so I suppose something like that is happening again. I also feel my doctors and local hospital are mildly incompetent in the admin department, they never keep me updated either haha.

I tried to phone yesterday but I find phone calls hard too, so I panicked and hung up before they answered. I'm going to try again today though :]

• Thank you, I'm going to phone and ask about it today :]

• The doctor said he would refer me but I received no confirmation by text or post. I heard nothing for about 2 months and I didn't know whether anything was happening and also struggle with just picking up the phone to find out, so I just kept wondering whether the referral had really been done until finally I received a letter saying a phone interview had been booked for me.

So it is possible that something is happening without them actually writing to you yet. It probably depends on your area and NHS trust and council because each area will be run slightly different, but in my experience the NHS is mildly incompetent and not very good at keeping the patient informed.

• It's not paranoid. Admin systems have been known to slip up once and a while and it sounds like you've experienced that. I'd just ask where it was referred to, then ask them to confirm receipt. 

• Yes, the GP texted me and conformed she got the information I sent her and that she would use it to write a referral.

I realised this is very paranoid, there's no reason she would say she would refer me and then wouldn't, but I can't stop thinking about it.

• Ah. Ok. Do you know whether the GP received the AQ10?

I should think that's the first question.

• My GP didn't say she had referred me or where I'd get referred to. She conformed that she would write a referral after I sent my test results, but I don't know if she actually did write the referral.

• Days. I sent the GP a letter explaining why I wanted one. He sent me an AQ10, which I returned with the online tests I done and I got a text as soon as he got it.

Of course, the GP will know if he sent the referral. He text you to says so, so he did. He wouldn't know if admin loses it after that.

Did he say where he referred it to in his text? I'd suggest, that's who you should approach just to be reassured that it arrived safe and sound.

• Thanks for replying. I know it won't speed up the waiting list but I just want to know for sure I'm on the list; I'm worrying about waiting for two years, realising I'm not on the list and then having to wait another two years! I'm a big worrier haha 

I don't know how to send a letter or even contact my GP, but I think I can phone my surgery and ask for conformation?

How long ago after you asked to get referred did you receive the text?

• Hi Megan,

I had a text to say a referral had been made on Friday... If you know who the referral was made to, you could just drop them a line by letter just to ask for confirmation of receipt.  I dare say waiting lists are long, but knowing for sure you're on it is a relief, I guess.