Unsure of what to do?

Hello, 

My names Nev, I am 26 years old and I am currently at a bit of a loss with how to proceed in certain aspects of my life. 

Very vague! I know! I haven't been diagnosed, however I have had multiple people who are very close to me suggest that I could be on the spectrum and surprisingly thats a very confusing thing as I now try to educate myself on the subject. 

My biggest question is just 'how do you know?'

My partner and I have been together for almost four years now and I know that a lot of my behaviour can and does upset her from time to time. 

I also thought I was particularly ok in social scenarios as I've worked in bars most of my adult life and locals and I usually get along really well. I've also had it pointed out by my partner though that I can be great... As long as I can be bothered or if my moods in the right place. 

Emotions in general are a particular hard spot as we differ in our approach to things. I tend to look at most events practically and logically and if there's no benefit to feeling a certain way about something I wont. Although I do experience swings of exhaustion and depression for seemingly no reason at all, it's just what the day has in store for me. 

I have a friend with Autism and he directed me to speaking to others about it and to see if anyone can shed some light on my circumstances or if I can possibly relate to others in similar predicaments. 

I guess I am just a little lost with all the information lately and I could use some help with it, if anyone finds the time to read this ... what is now lengthy post. Thank you. I hope I can get to the bottom of it all. 

Parents

• Hello, 

My names Nev, I am 26 years old and I am currently at a bit of a loss with how to proceed in certain aspects of my life. 

Very vague! I know! I haven't been diagnosed, however I have had multiple people who are very close to me suggest that I could be on the spectrum and surprisingly thats a very confusing thing as I now try to educate myself on the subject. 

Hi Nev ~ well in my case I was sort of like yourself told I was on the spectrum, and that I should do the Autistic (Spectrum) Quotient 50 question test (more generally known as AQ50 test) with a score of 32 or more indicating that an Autistic assessment could be worthwhile. The streamlined version of AQ50 test is as suggested above the AQ10 test, with a score of 8 or more being the indicative total on that one.

Here follows a listing of downloadable tests regarding autism:

Cambridge University ~ Autism Research Center ~ Downloadable Tests

At least perhaps go for the AQ10 and the EQ10 ~ to start with, and if you get the indicative 8 or more ~ maybe do all the tests that apply to you as an Adult, and include them in your referral request ~ which can be assisted by way of an information pack that can be ordered by leaving your name and address at any time of the day or night via the NHS telephone helpline: 0808 800 4104

I also thought I was particularly ok in social scenarios as I've worked in bars most of my adult life and locals and I usually get along really well.

I did the same in respect of pubs, hotels and restaurants, where I got into management starting from kitchen porter (dishwasher) and moving up through waiting and bar work ~ with the usual stress of social interactions being streamlined out by the structural transactions of getting people fed, drunk and accommodated as occludes and prevents multitudes of social sins that would normally otherwise occur.

I've also had it pointed out by my partner though that I can be great... As long as I can be bothered or if my moods in the right place. 

Emotions in general are a particular hard spot as we differ in our approach to things. I tend to look at most events practically and logically and if there's no benefit to feeling a certain way about something I wont.

That can be a classic of Autism involving what appear to psychopathic traits ~ but in fact just involve being on a different emotional wavelength, involving a narrow range of emotional sensibility that is more pragmatic ~ such as I recall one medical professional stating that they could make major life and death decisions without emotionalism disturbing their decision making processes, and hence a higher proportion of surgeons are autistic for instance.

Although I do experience swings of exhaustion and depression for seemingly no reason at all, it's just what the day has in store for me. 

Well as far as Autism is concerned ~ social camouflaging and personal masking in order to fit in socially does tend not to include what develops as psychologically depressing backlogs and physiological burn outs, as in simple terms pretending to be like everyone else is a lot more demanding and costly than just behaving naturally.

I have a friend with Autism and he directed me to speaking to others about it and to see if anyone can shed some light on my circumstances or if I can possibly relate to others in similar predicaments. 

I guess I am just a little lost with all the information lately and I could use some help with it, if anyone finds the time to read this ... what is now lengthy post. Thank you. I hope I can get to the bottom of it all. 

Well as far as I am concerned your post was quite short really, but I am one of those who tend more to write "Skyscraper" rather than "Bungalow" or "Bedsit" posts, and one has every right to be lengthy when attempting to come to terms with things that are not entirely or else easily understood in another arena of comprehension.

Oh ~ an expression that serves most people rather well is: "If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism."

• Hello, 

Hi Nev ~ well in my case I was sort of like yourself told I was on the spectrum, and that I should do the Autistic (Spectrum) Quotient 50 question test (more generally known as AQ50 test) with a score of 32 or more indicating that an Autistic assessment could be worthwhile. The streamlined version of AQ50 test is as suggested above the AQ10 test, with a score of 8 or more being the indicative total on that one.

Here follows a listing of downloadable tests regarding autism:

Cambridge University ~ Autism Research Center ~ Downloadable Tests

At least perhaps go for the AQ10 and the EQ10 ~ to start with, and if you get the indicative 8 or more ~ maybe do all the tests that apply to you as an Adult, and include them in your referral request ~ which can be assisted by way of an information pack that can be ordered by leaving your name and address at any time of the day or night via the NHS telephone helpline: 0808 800 4104

I also thought I was particularly ok in social scenarios as I've worked in bars most of my adult life and locals and I usually get along really well.

I did the same in respect of pubs, hotels and restaurants, where I got into management starting from kitchen porter (dishwasher) and moving up through waiting and bar work ~ with the usual stress of social interactions being streamlined out by the structural transactions of getting people fed, drunk and accommodated as occludes and prevents multitudes of social sins that would normally otherwise occur.

I've also had it pointed out by my partner though that I can be great... As long as I can be bothered or if my moods in the right place. 

Emotions in general are a particular hard spot as we differ in our approach to things. I tend to look at most events practically and logically and if there's no benefit to feeling a certain way about something I wont.

That can be a classic of Autism involving what appear to psychopathic traits ~ but in fact just involve being on a different emotional wavelength, involving a narrow range of emotional sensibility that is more pragmatic ~ such as I recall one medical professional stating that they could make major life and death decisions without emotionalism disturbing their decision making processes, and hence a higher proportion of surgeons are autistic for instance.

Although I do experience swings of exhaustion and depression for seemingly no reason at all, it's just what the day has in store for me. 

Well as far as Autism is concerned ~ social camouflaging and personal masking in order to fit in socially does tend not to include what develops as psychologically depressing backlogs and physiological burn outs, as in simple terms pretending to be like everyone else is a lot more demanding and costly than just behaving naturally.

Well as far as I am concerned your post was quite short really, but I am one of those who tend more to write "Skyscraper" rather than "Bungalow" or "Bedsit" posts, and one has every right to be lengthy when attempting to come to terms with things that are not entirely or else easily understood in another arena of comprehension.

Oh ~ an expression that serves most people rather well is: "If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism."

Children
  • Hey Deepthought. 

I just took the recommended self-tests. I won't lie, I did need a bit of help from my significant other. Some of the questions specifically on the EQ-10 test were frustratingly vague on a personal ability to answer them factually. 

The same can be said for the AQ-10, there was things I percieved in day to day life that the person who has stuck with me for four years definitely did not agree with and had multiple examples as to why. 

All of that said! The scores were as follows : -

AQ-10 = 7

EQ-10 = 4

I'll admit that on the EQ-10 I found it difficult to find a difinitive answer as to what any score would mean.

( The full tests seem a little more streamlined and if I have the time, I'll give them a try too.)