Autism is a real disability to some,,,,,,, are you such a person ?

sayings like , "autism is a superpower" or "autism isn't a disability, it is a different ability" worry me sometimes

I feel like this invalidates people who aren't quite comfortable with being Autistic or Autistic people who feel as though their ASD has more negative than positive impacts or those who feel as though their diagnosis has an equal amount of positive and negative effects. 

I understand these sayings have positive intentions and are meant to empower Autistic people, but it just kinda comes off as inspirational stuff to me. Again this is good. 

But two thirds of autistic people are in the mid and severe ends of the spectrum and so will probably never/rarely be in this forum or have their voice/opinions heard.

I am lucky to be the way I am.  But there are days I wish I could swallow a pill and my autism would be gone.

I am equal amounts of positive and negative with shrinking negatives.

But I always think about those who are really suffering on the spectrum.

Do you feel Autism is a real downer for you  ?  how bad is it ? and most importantly ,,,,,,,,,What can be done to help or change things for you?

Parents
  • Surely it's only a disability when you're reality clashes with your unrealistic life plan.    But I don't see that as much different to most people.    They all dream of a Ferrari and huge house in the country but their actual abilities mean a terrace & 15-year old Mondeo is their peak..

People are cheated by the whole consumer lifestyle - almost all will fail to measure up and will fall short of their predicted trajectory.

The trick of life if knowing that and either accepting it or not playing the game in the first place..

• So the choice is... playing the game and failing or not playing (and ending up in the same place) I get that comparing myself to other people won’t make me happy but I have to go and interact with them and see them overtaking me and being praised when I rot away alone. I don’t have any “superpowers” but I have anxiety and maybe a bit of depression and I can refuse to play the game but I have to earn money. True, I can clean toilets for the rest of my life, hardly talking to anyone and keep telling myself that it’s what I’ve chosen and that I’m above it all because I’m refusing to play their game. But the thought doesn’t make me any happier. Maybe I’m just not in the best place mentally at the moment. And the blame is on me again for not seeing the good side, not being optimistic enough. Game over.

• But that's the whole point - you're made to feel worthless and guilty for not joining the rat race and burning yourself out with a heart attack at 35.   The media is pumping out unrealistic life expectations to everyone.

A study I read where teenagers were asked what lifestyle they were expecting and what car and house they would have when they were working universally found they would need to earn at least 3x what their actual earning would be to achieve their dreams - disappointment is bred into us these days.

If you lived on an island with no tv, you would have no idea that you were ;failing'.    It's only when you measure it against the advertised values.    Just look at TOWIE etc. Setting a living standard that nobody can reach.

• But that's the whole point - you're made to feel worthless and guilty for not joining the rat race and burning yourself out with a heart attack at 35.   The media is pumping out unrealistic life expectations to everyone.

A study I read where teenagers were asked what lifestyle they were expecting and what car and house they would have when they were working universally found they would need to earn at least 3x what their actual earning would be to achieve their dreams - disappointment is bred into us these days.

If you lived on an island with no tv, you would have no idea that you were ;failing'.    It's only when you measure it against the advertised values.    Just look at TOWIE etc. Setting a living standard that nobody can reach.

Children
No Data