Partner in denial?

I have lived for 9 months with my ex-partner and we have an (unplanned) baby together. 3 professionals from social work and child services have already said to me that he has traits of autism. 

Reading up more on autism, I'm now seeing how a lot of his behaviour / responses align with it.

He says he has done some tests with psychologists before (he never told me whether they were for autism specifically or not, just that he did them) but felt that uncomfortable with them.

There is a lot of resistance when I tried talking to him about autism, how being open and accepting it could help him and others around him; yet he said it's up to the individual to act as best as he can to blend in with others (i.e. masking) and if they have managed more or less, there's no need to consider/talk about autism at all.

Our son is only 6 months old, but as he gets older he would be messy and noisy as any other toddler.

I'm worried about his development with a potentially autistic parent in denial.

Any one out there who shared a similar experience with a resistant partner? Can anyone give me any tips?

Thank you

Parents
  • You could try to explain to your partner that he will be the best mentor for your child because he's been there and understands the stress factors your child will be experiencing and how you can both build a stress-free, simple routine lifestyle for your family to remove chaos and unknowns from your system.    Stability and consistency work wonders to reduce stress.

• Yes - he has placed a lot of emphasis on structure and having a parenting plan; I can begin to see how people on the spectrum really find benefit with routines and I am working on finding the headspace and open-mindedness to accommodate. 

• Yes - he has placed a lot of emphasis on structure and having a parenting plan; I can begin to see how people on the spectrum really find benefit with routines and I am working on finding the headspace and open-mindedness to accommodate. 

Children
No Data