Money management problems/debt

It took my son many years to get to university but with the right support he got there. 

He has spent all of his student loan and now can't pay his rent, and his housemates are annoyed with him. His dad is in hospital and he's really struggling, he also has other health problems

We applied for a Hardship fund with the university but they rejected it because he had enough money from his student loan, but that is gone now. He also has loan sharks which is scary and making the problem worse.  I don't think they've taken into consideration his needs and what that means for money management.

We are appealing it. I was wondering if there's any information we could put on the application to help win an appeal.

Thanks,

Michelle 

Parents
  • Loans are too easy to obtain. A life without solid mentoring for earning, and saving, leads to crisis. I know myself, from drinking the 'Education, Education, Education' Kool-Aid.

What exactly is your son spending his money on? Is he able to do spreadsheets of his spending and Bank Balances? Are his friends trustworthy?

I feel that, as a society, we're too focused on consuming than working and saving. University is only effective if you do extra-curricular work.

• Loans are too easy to obtain. A life without solid mentoring for earning, and saving, leads to crisis. I know myself, from drinking the 'Education, Education, Education' Kool-Aid.

What exactly is your son spending his money on? Is he able to do spreadsheets of his spending and Bank Balances? Are his friends trustworthy?

I feel that, as a society, we're too focused on consuming than working and saving. University is only effective if you do extra-curricular work.

Children
No Data