Forever losing track of my things

Recently diagnosed with ASD. I am really bad at keeping track of my stuff. I am always losing things. I end up with two of something because I can't find the first one and then eventually find where I put it. It's so frustrating. I also don't get why people ask where is the last place you had it like if I knew that I could find it. I have a grounding tool that I really like but it's like it's vanished into thin air. Is this an autistic thing or just a me thing? Also any tips for stop losing things. routerlogin

Parents
  • This happens to me a lot as well usually I lose my keys or a cup I was just drinking from. I look in one place and don't see it but when I look in that place again later on I see it. It's really weird and annoying. I try to keep track of where I place things but I almost never remember where it is. Spend much of my day searching for things.

• Its a normal human thing I think, and maybe be aware of yourself when looking - are you frantic, not focussed enough, got brain fog, or whatever.  I've knocked a glass over I was looking for, so it was there but not recognised as there.

Sometimes I know I haven't really looked properly, and have to put more focus into it.

Have a regular place for your usual things can help, sometimes we put things down in a place its not normally and then its really hard.

• I think I get worked up and panic when I can't find things so I look over what I'm looking for and only find it when I've calmed later on. I do go super hyper at times so that doesn't help either.

I have started trying to have regular places for certain things and it has made a difference which is fabulous.

• I think I get worked up and panic when I can't find things so I look over what I'm looking for and only find it when I've calmed later on. I do go super hyper at times so that doesn't help either.

I have started trying to have regular places for certain things and it has made a difference which is fabulous.

Children
  • Yeah, that is probably behind most people's difficulty to find things, trying to search but mashing your brain about it.

The challenge is not to get worked up, that only leads to stress and chaotic thinking.  Hyper mode can be great to help get something done, but it can also mean not really thinking about what you are doing, or eratic in thinking.  A calmer way to respond to something lost is the answer, though taking over what happens automatically is difficult, but if you make it a goal and keep trying then your brain might adapt to a calmer way eventually.