Anyone diagnosed as an adult?

Hi complete newbie here. 

im wondering if anyone has been diagnosed as an adult? 

I’ve always known I was abit ‘quirky’ as some say about me. But in the past few years I’ve started to mask less and just be myself even around family and they’re noticing things now. 

Does anyone else get overwhelmed easily? Sensory overload happens a lot. I struggle with a lot going on and rock a lot to allow my to understand or take in what’s being said to me etc this has definitely started showing slot more recently. 

I find something I really like and then have to learn everything about it. Where it started? Why? What’s the reason it? When did it originate? I read fact books and then become so overwhelmed I end up flapping and getting myself into a state. I’ve come to realise I’ve masked so much over the years growing up that now those coping mechanisms I created are now not working so well as they once did. I have this urge we’ll need to understand myself and this is definitely making me think about pushing for an assessment. 

I crave routine and absolutely hate change!! It takes me months to get used to a change, this has definitely heightened in the past 2 years or so. I know even as a child I’ve always hated change anyway.

has anyone ever been diagnosed in their 30’s? Where would I begin? 

thanks if you reached the end 

Parents
  • I'm 36 and was diagnosed just 2 months ago, so I've not even had my post-diagnosis follow up yet so I'm a bit new to this. Go speak to your GP and ask for an assessment. It is quite a long waiting list though, my wait was 12 months, but I have heard up to 2 years.

Yes I zone out, half way through me talking or someone else talking. I have also masked for years and now struggling to hold them all in place, but the scary thing is that my mask has been on so long I'm not even sure what's under it.

• I'm at a point where I'm not entirely sure who the real me is. It's possibly partly caused my anxiety. You often hear people say they're looking for themselves, I'm not sure if I'd recognise me if I found me.

• I'm at a point where I'm not entirely sure who the real me is. It's possibly partly caused my anxiety. You often hear people say they're looking for themselves, I'm not sure if I'd recognise me if I found me.

Children