NHS vs private assessment

Hi, 

I (29F) feel I would like to be assessed as I am fairly sure I am somewhere on the spectrum. I haven't yet made an appointment with my doctor to discuss this as I want to be as prepared as possible (gathering information and reasoning of why my family and I think I am likely to be on the spectrum but also finding out what the process is and NHS vs private options). 

My main questions are:

What is the NHS wait time likely to be after referral (I'm in the West Midlands if that helps)?

Are there any benefits (other than cost and timescale) of the NHS vs private assessment route? I mainly want the assessment for my own peace of mind but if it can help me get any support in any way then I would be open to that as well. 

If I was to go the private route rather than through the NHS, does anyone have any recommendations?  

If anyone has any general information or advice that may be useful please share as I feel slightly overwhelmed with the different information available online!

Parents
  • Has the NAS done any investigative work into the acceptance of NHS and private diagnoses by different local authorities and government departments?

This is the sort of work that the NAS ought to be doing rather than silly things like cake sales and releasing helium balloons into the air.

There's also a choice of having a diagnosis under ICD-10 or DSM-5. Which one is offered depends on which organisation or NHS trust you pick.

I have a private diagnosis of AS under ICD-10.

• Has the NAS done any investigative work into the acceptance of NHS and private diagnoses by different local authorities and government departments?

This is the sort of work that the NAS ought to be doing rather than silly things like cake sales and releasing helium balloons into the air.

There's also a choice of having a diagnosis under ICD-10 or DSM-5. Which one is offered depends on which organisation or NHS trust you pick.

I have a private diagnosis of AS under ICD-10.

Children
  • As far as i am aware the National Autism Society hasn't looked into it so far. My own local authority despite it being 2021 will not accept a private diagnosis and requires a diagnosis through the public NHS route.

This has meant that majority of children in my local council district have not received the extra support in secondary schools and colleges. Many sixteen year olds are waiting beyond six years to be diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder because of the long standing problems with the mental health trust in my area which means many fail to complete college or achieve entry level qualifications because of lack of support and accommodations.

It should also be said that many people who go through the public NHS route are typically failed because of the way that many mental health trust operates having a single professionals to diagnosis a single disability or disorder is highly inefficient. 

Most people on the autism spectrum who are having issues maintaining and obtaining meaningful employment  are getting their benefits denied because many of them need additional diagnosis for sensory processing disorder, ADHD and learning disabilities to support their claim. this is very common with people who have been denied personal independence payments.

There's a huge amount of individuals on the autism spectrum with co occurring neurodevelopmental with above average IQ  who are expected to figure thing out for themselves and the national autism society need to focus on those individuals more than those with co occurring intellectual disabilities because its these individuals who are more likely to become homeless, Being sectioned under the mental health act and forever trapped in poverty through the current benefit system or low income work opportunities or becoming physical harmed and crippled in the workplace. 

The National Autism Society only seems to operate within major cities and influential location across england. they have no clue how many local authorities similar to mine are mis interpreting their website to deny people support and assistance they need.