If you are working, what careers are you in?

I'd like to find a job that doesn't make me constantly overstimulated, overwhelmed and fatigued, but is also intellectually challenging. I absolutely love learning. Has anyone found a role that works for them?

Parents
  • I did a degree in Maths, Statistics and Operational Research.

I worked as an operational researcher which suited me as it was a desk job processing numbers with other number types. I did data analysis, artificial intelligence and risk analysis. Looking back it surprises me how NT these spaces were, but we were all busy number crunching so it was quiet.

I then worked as a university lecturer teaching this. That worked as you get an office on your own and there's limited meetings orexpectation to be social. Lectures are quite easy compared to classrooms, and it's easier being the lecturer than in the group. Universities are high stress environments though. I was ok cos I worked 2.5 days and spread it over 3 or 4 so I had lots of recovery time. I also didn't care about a career, status, promotion so didn't get caught up in the research game whete the stress comes from. Unis apparently have lots of ASs there.

Now I work as a manager for an Animal Freedom group. It's more tiring, but it's purposeful and a passion, and we seem to recruit quiet types! I think we're approx 50% or more undiagnosed, haha! There's lots of ASs in Animal Protection groups. 

• Hi, NicheMarket:

Regarding what you said, “I also didn't care about a career, status, promotion so didn't get caught up in the research game...”:

That really rang true and struck a positive chord with me. Thanks for sharing it. I felt liberated when I decided not to care about having a permanent contract (tenure) as a teacher here in our Canadian school system. I make the same money as tenured teachers, I have the same pension, the same benefits, etc. The only difference is that I work contracts of one year at a time. This decision has liberated me from school politics or working in fear, which a lot of teachers here do.

Elizabeth

• It was a life saving insight. I'd been in post 2 years (permanent cos it's impossible to recruit in my area so tenure was easy) and I wasn't happy. I was ready to leave, there were too many conflicting and exhausting demands. I decided to not do my usual and leave and try and incremently improve it.

So I thought about who was happy in my job in my dept and I'd copy them. I went down the corridor one by one in my mind. No one was happy in the way I'd want to be happy, but out of 35 I felt 2 or 3 were doing well. I thought about them. What they had was that their egoes, maybe identities, weren't caught up in their role. I realised my problem was my ego, I'd got caught in the university politics power game. I had no intrinsic interest so dropped to 60% immediately, then 50% the next year, and then fought a difficult negotiation to move from the research track to the teaching track. I had to threaten to leave. But immediately in the teaching track there's no status, not an easy career, etc. I was blissfully free! I was happy for about 10 years but did lose interest as it was hard to find novelty without chasing status roles. Then I was inspired to do my new job.

It was odd how many people were envious of my bliss, would talk to me about it, about switching track, but they couldn't do it (except one). Are we more rational and can assess how to be happy better? Or does status actually mean something to them ???

• I feel that way, myself.

Austerity for those who want work, but Audis for those who want Benefits.

Now, I've declared myself unfit for work. Just in time for my next PIP form.

• I thought that about the job too.

But it comforts me to remember that humans ARE predators. That's just how humans behave. That's why humans are on the top of the food chain and control the world. Humans have nothing that preys on us now, so we prey on each other. Or rather, those without consciences prey on other humans and can't control their predatory instincts.

• Yes. I don't notice the political or social skills they use. I just treat everyone the same: politely and bluntly. Apparently this is wrong and I should bow down to people higher than me and treat people lower than me like sh1t. I can't understand that mentality.

• Oh gosh, that's me. I see nothing until they make their killer move. And even then I'm all forgiveness, tolerance and indulgence. I don't get angry though I may get upset and disappointed.

I wonder what goes on in their heads, if they get conscious satisfaction, if it's a thing they feel in their body, what the emotions are, desire, pride, satisfaction, ... .

• What I struggle with is knowing or noticing the political and social skills they're using

Me too - and they're doing it so naturally - all the time - to everyone they know so were being continually outmanoeuvred and outflanked and we're completely oblivious to it until they make their kill moves against us.     It's like being in a jungle with the predators all around........watching for their opportunity. to pounce.

I always thought the point of going to work was to do a good job so the company makes money and I get a pay rise and keep my job - and being the best would lead to promotion.    I really was very, very naive.

• Yeah, that's kinda what I think. What I struggle with is knowing or noticing the political and social skills they're using, when they're monkeying their way up, orunderstanding the impulse.

Most NT things there's at least a slither in me of it so I can relate to it and make instinctive sense or figure it out. The power and staus thing I just can't relate to any impulse or thought in me.

I've just lost someone from my team and have realised that his pride and staus had been wounded too often (for his own fault), but it's just invisible to me why he made so many status and power bids.

• Yeah, that's kinda what I think. What I struggle with is knowing or noticing the political and social skills they're using, when they're monkeying their way up, orunderstanding the impulse.

Most NT things there's at least a slither in me of it so I can relate to it and make instinctive sense or figure it out. The power and staus thing I just can't relate to any impulse or thought in me.

I've just lost someone from my team and have realised that his pride and staus had been wounded too often (for his own fault), but it's just invisible to me why he made so many status and power bids.

Children
  • I feel that way, myself.

Austerity for those who want work, but Audis for those who want Benefits.

Now, I've declared myself unfit for work. Just in time for my next PIP form.

• I thought that about the job too.

But it comforts me to remember that humans ARE predators. That's just how humans behave. That's why humans are on the top of the food chain and control the world. Humans have nothing that preys on us now, so we prey on each other. Or rather, those without consciences prey on other humans and can't control their predatory instincts.

• Yes. I don't notice the political or social skills they use. I just treat everyone the same: politely and bluntly. Apparently this is wrong and I should bow down to people higher than me and treat people lower than me like sh1t. I can't understand that mentality.

• Oh gosh, that's me. I see nothing until they make their killer move. And even then I'm all forgiveness, tolerance and indulgence. I don't get angry though I may get upset and disappointed.

I wonder what goes on in their heads, if they get conscious satisfaction, if it's a thing they feel in their body, what the emotions are, desire, pride, satisfaction, ... .

• What I struggle with is knowing or noticing the political and social skills they're using

Me too - and they're doing it so naturally - all the time - to everyone they know so were being continually outmanoeuvred and outflanked and we're completely oblivious to it until they make their kill moves against us.     It's like being in a jungle with the predators all around........watching for their opportunity. to pounce.

I always thought the point of going to work was to do a good job so the company makes money and I get a pay rise and keep my job - and being the best would lead to promotion.    I really was very, very naive.