If you are working, what careers are you in?

I'd like to find a job that doesn't make me constantly overstimulated, overwhelmed and fatigued, but is also intellectually challenging. I absolutely love learning. Has anyone found a role that works for them?

Parents
  • Used to work in the care sector, was in auxiliary nurse in the NHS for a while. Enjoyed it but the role didn't take me anywhere. I was very good at the practical stuff but shied away from getting qualified because I was paranoid about messing up someones drugs (and I didn't want to study for another 2-3 years).

I was heading for a career to be a psychologist (!), sadly I didn't handle the study too well. I did reasonably well academically, but found it difficult to focus and I burnt out after major projects. After a job interview went bad (the experience was truly awful) I steered away from a PHD and took an office based role.

Been there for years now in a variety of roles. Tried promotion but I struggle with group discussions, the fluid nature of some of the role and the relationship building (I'm very task orientated and I work better solo. People tend to over-complicate what I see as relatively simple asks).

My latest is data crunching, analysis of MI and coaching of staff. When I'm given the space to work it's fantastic - it's difficult sometimes because of meetings about meetings, crazy turnarounds, circular discussions, vague asks and senior staff micromanaging and not knowing when to push off. Having said that, I've been secure in employment and well supported since my diagnosis,

If I had the option to do it again? If I'd been a little more grounded at the time, and if I knew what I knew now, I would have pursued a career as a journalist/freelance writer or gone into some kind of social research. The latter I think would have really worked for me.

• Used to work in the care sector, was in auxiliary nurse in the NHS for a while. Enjoyed it but the role didn't take me anywhere. I was very good at the practical stuff but shied away from getting qualified because I was paranoid about messing up someones drugs (and I didn't want to study for another 2-3 years).

I was heading for a career to be a psychologist (!), sadly I didn't handle the study too well. I did reasonably well academically, but found it difficult to focus and I burnt out after major projects. After a job interview went bad (the experience was truly awful) I steered away from a PHD and took an office based role.

Been there for years now in a variety of roles. Tried promotion but I struggle with group discussions, the fluid nature of some of the role and the relationship building (I'm very task orientated and I work better solo. People tend to over-complicate what I see as relatively simple asks).

My latest is data crunching, analysis of MI and coaching of staff. When I'm given the space to work it's fantastic - it's difficult sometimes because of meetings about meetings, crazy turnarounds, circular discussions, vague asks and senior staff micromanaging and not knowing when to push off. Having said that, I've been secure in employment and well supported since my diagnosis,

If I had the option to do it again? If I'd been a little more grounded at the time, and if I knew what I knew now, I would have pursued a career as a journalist/freelance writer or gone into some kind of social research. The latter I think would have really worked for me.

Children
No Data