Drawing Autism - what do you like to create?

Hi all,

I've been re-reading a book I have called 'Drawing Autism' by Jill Mullin. I initially read it before my diagnosis just because I found it in a bookshop and liked what I saw. I'm a creator, initially in design but owing to certain situations I haven't worked in years. I'm still a creator though. Having now got a diagnosis I'm reading it from a slightly different perspective. I'd be interested to hear what other people like to draw/paint/create.

There's a chapter in the book called 'Repetition, repetition, repetition' that seems to sum me up fairly succinctly. As a child I liked to draw (a lot) the old green £1 notes, I liked the patterns and all the intricacies of the design.

These days I create 'art' using words and sentences generally in some specific pattern or geometric shape, spirals, circles and labyrinths. I work on large canvases, usually 3' x 4' but work very intricately, the writing/print is small. I would work on an even bigger scale if I had the room. I do create other pieces but I always come back to this same formula, it's soothing.

Going back to the book the author asked each contributor these questions:

* At what age did the act of creating art enter into your life? (For me it was as soon as I had access to paint)

* Why did you start creating art? (I enjoy it, it cathartic)

* What inspires/excites you about creating art? (I can plan down to the smallest detail and I really like the repetition)

* How do you choose your subjects? Why do you paint/draw what you do? (Again it's repetition and I like order)

* Do you think your art helps others understand how you view the world? (I think so, it re-iterates my patterns of behaviour and has tended to make people slightly more patient with me)

No matter how you create I'd just like to hear what and why you create. Cheers!

Parents
  • I have been crocheting for 5 years and knitting for 3yrs. I love counting the stitches and it is extremely repetitive. I'm doing some blankets at the moment that involve counting to 10 over and over again. 

I used to love music and played bass guitar. Another hobby I did over and over again until I mastered the songs. My mum mustve been driven crazy by me repeating the same bits of songs repeatedly so I could play over it. I particularly loved intricate bass soloists and was in love with the idea of what is often a background instrument being the main and sole instrument of songs in its own right (Victor Wooton, Stuart Hamm for example). 

I also have always loved any kind of video game with a personalised element, whether that is something like the Sims or Theme Park, or role playing games like WoW, Star Wars Galaxies. Video games take over my life when I get hooked so I switch between animal crossing and knitting these days. 

I'm 32yrs old so not the typical knitting obsessive but hey ho. 

• Hey , I can well understand why people find crocheting and knitting so relaxing and it certainly seems there’s been a resurgence (or possibly the popularity of TV shows that tap into different creative techniques) in the world of knitting. I know many people 18yrs-90 year olds who love it. I’m useless with any kind of needlework, or show me and then ask me to tie a particular knot, I just can’t get the pattern right in my head. Do you use those really (really) big needles or are you more of a delicate knitter?

Bass guitar eh? I think many people consider it as a background instrument, which is a shame because it requires just as much practice and talent than any other instrument (possibly not the triangle or a kazoo). Also the bass is so intrinsic, it sets the whole mood for a piece of music and has a very cool vibe about it. If you look at dance music the bass is what it’s all about (mostly not guitar based but the effect of). Do you play any more?

I’m not a gamer but can understand a game with a personalised element can be great, is it fair to say it allows interaction but without the real social situation? That is probably way off the mark but I’m still stuck in PAC-man era Grin.

Keep creating!

• I do also love repetitive games. I would play frogger for hours and hours when I was younger. 

I am more of an intricate knitter in terms of needle size, but I prefer repetitive patterns than overly fiddly ones. I like making socks in particular (look at how you knit a heel, it is magical). 

I think bass is beautiful. I don't play much at all but I am sentimental about my guitars so I have kept them. I seem to have periods of a particular creative outlet and then I move on to something else. Bass is probably something I've adopted as a part of my identity more than some of my other interests though. 

• There is even a magic circle in knitting and crochet... no joke

• Sign of a good magician Relaxed

Reply Children