ASD and metaphor/sarcasm?

I think I am on the autism spectrum but I keep hearing/reading that people with autism struggle with understanding nuances in meaning of words or don't understand sarcasm.

As far as I can remember I didn't feel confused with sarcasm and I've learnt the art pretty well that I am known for my caustic humour. I also love poetry and verbal imagery having been an avid reader when I had more time, as a child relied on a very active imagined alternative reality to get through some school situations.

Does that exclude me from being autistic? I'm afraid of going any further if it's all just in my mind.

Parents
  • I understand sarcasm most of the time. 

In fact, I'm sarcastic a lot myself, and I have explained to someone how for me sarcasm is an extension of seeing things more literally. Because sarcasm often points out how ridiculous a phrase or something someone said is in light of reality. 
    It sees the lack of logic in something or the fact it simply makes no sense and points it out in a funny way. 

That said, there can be occasions where if someone else has been sarcastic, I need reassurance it was sarcasm. But, I don't think that happens very often, and I think it often depends on the person.

• Thank you for that, @Flint. Yes! I remember distinctly in one of my jobs in the past, my colleagues had a really sharp banter thing going on. Before that, I think I understood sarcasm, but I picked up the skill of actually using it in that job. Now I think about it, it's actually quite a technical thing similar to how you describe it and I think I sometimes overstep the level of acceptable sarcasm without realising or have moved onto talking seriously and I'm still being 'flippant'. And then there are days when I can't even exchange niceties with a neighbour and make sense. All my illusions of being normal are being shattered right here... thank you for sharing.

• Thank you for that, @Flint. Yes! I remember distinctly in one of my jobs in the past, my colleagues had a really sharp banter thing going on. Before that, I think I understood sarcasm, but I picked up the skill of actually using it in that job. Now I think about it, it's actually quite a technical thing similar to how you describe it and I think I sometimes overstep the level of acceptable sarcasm without realising or have moved onto talking seriously and I'm still being 'flippant'. And then there are days when I can't even exchange niceties with a neighbour and make sense. All my illusions of being normal are being shattered right here... thank you for sharing.

Children
No Data