Feel Misunderstood during Initial diagnosis appointment

After what has Honestly been several years of recommendations This week I had my initial appointment for diagnosis with asd. During this appointment the Dr asked me about my repetitive behaviours such as my schedule, during this I tried to explain that because of my inconsistent university schedule and a difficult relationship with sleep that I do not have a schedule based strictly off of time e.g. waking up at 7:30 everyday but rather that I have a schedule based on the order of and how I do things in my day to day life. I also tried to go onto explain behaviours such as sticking to eating the same foods and using the same bowels and plates and glasses and such to eat with.  Before I could do this my Dr cut me off and told me he was going to put that down as 'no repetitive behaviours' which I do not feel is the truth.

I would like to know if anyone feels this would be worth bringing up at my next appointment as I really do not want to misrepresent myself or be misrepresented during this whole process or even if I am just being completely incorrect in my own assessment of the situation. Thank you. 

Parents
  • In the diagnostic manuals 'repetitive behaviour' is lumped in with 'restricted behaviour' (restricted interests), so in theory you only have to show one of these types of behaviour for a valid diagnosis. There is a subset of autistics, I am one, who have problems with time, a sort of time blindness. This has been tentatively linked to a defective 'biological clock'. I, and other autistics like me, therefore cannot have strict routines as we have a very slippery grasp of time, though we do not like change.

I'm afraid that we are at the mercy of how well the clinicians dealing with us actually know their stuff, and are not either hopelessly out of date, or wedded to incorrect stereotypes. Getting competent clinicians is half the battle.

• In the diagnostic manuals 'repetitive behaviour' is lumped in with 'restricted behaviour' (restricted interests), so in theory you only have to show one of these types of behaviour for a valid diagnosis. There is a subset of autistics, I am one, who have problems with time, a sort of time blindness. This has been tentatively linked to a defective 'biological clock'. I, and other autistics like me, therefore cannot have strict routines as we have a very slippery grasp of time, though we do not like change.

I'm afraid that we are at the mercy of how well the clinicians dealing with us actually know their stuff, and are not either hopelessly out of date, or wedded to incorrect stereotypes. Getting competent clinicians is half the battle.

Children
  • Just for info, the thread you've replied to is over 4 years old :)

[PS Sorry to the mods! I accidentally clicked on "more > report" rather than reply, as intended].

• 'I'm afraid that we are at the mercy of how well the clinicians dealing with us actually know their stuff, and are not either hopelessly out of date, or wedded to incorrect stereotypes. Getting competent clinicians is half the battle.'

This is absolutely correct, unfortunately. As I have just said in another thread, my autism assessment experience was dreadful:

Autistic Not Alien | My Autism Assessment