'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • Could you just tell your immediate supervisor, or some other manager you trust? I work for myself but I worked for years in companies etc. That's probably what I'd do: tell a superior who I trusted.

• You have to be extremely careful, i am saying this from experience. Some employment contracts that large companies like to use have a fail to disclose clause which is perfectly legal. If you sign this type of employment contact they have the right to immediately dismiss you for not disclosing your diagnosis during the application and interview period. 

If you disclose your autism with an employer they need copy of the diagnosis in their records for legal purposes, Failing to hand them copy of the diagnosis can result in the autistic employer not having reasonable evidence as proof for reasonable adjustments being made.

They have been legal cases in the past where employers have gotten away with discrimination case against an individuals with autism because the autistic individual failed to provide medical evidence of proof of them having autism.

• Additionally, providing evidence usually means they want to see a copy of the diagnosis report - but that is likely to contain a whole load of VERY personal information that has nothing to do with your ability to work, your employment or your employer - it could be anything from being a bedwetter to being abused by a relative.       I'd ask your gp or diagnosing clinic for a cut-down version that only contains the pertinent information needed to satisfy the employer's legal requirement.

• Additionally, providing evidence usually means they want to see a copy of the diagnosis report - but that is likely to contain a whole load of VERY personal information that has nothing to do with your ability to work, your employment or your employer - it could be anything from being a bedwetter to being abused by a relative.       I'd ask your gp or diagnosing clinic for a cut-down version that only contains the pertinent information needed to satisfy the employer's legal requirement.

Children
  • Some companies put pressure on you to sign forms to allow the company to get hold of your medical records. My last 2 employers did this, my current employer is the NHS and I refused and told them they'd have to be happy with a letter my doctor had done for me incidentally for PIP.