Concentration

Can anyone recommend anything for keeping concentration when trying to study? 

Parents
  • I have a set playlist that I study to, I get too distracted with my 'regular' music so I use the playlist 'coffee beats' on Spotify, it's upbeat which helps me stay motivated, but has no lyrics so that it's not too distracting. I've also found regular breaks and rewards help me concentrate. Sometimes I study for 25 mins then have a break for 5 mins, rewarding myself with time on my phone or a snack. Other times I'll set myself study goals, for example, work through Unit 4 parts 5 and 6 and then I get a reward.

There's an app called 'forest' which allows you to set timers, you grow a plant in the timer and plant it in your forest, if going on your phone is an issue whilst trying to concentrate then there's an option where it will kill the plant if you leave the app, which helps for hardcore study sessions for me.

I'm also looking into getting some stim/fidget toys for when I'm watching videos and stuff which I think will help me.

• I have a set playlist that I study to, I get too distracted with my 'regular' music so I use the playlist 'coffee beats' on Spotify, it's upbeat which helps me stay motivated, but has no lyrics so that it's not too distracting. I've also found regular breaks and rewards help me concentrate. Sometimes I study for 25 mins then have a break for 5 mins, rewarding myself with time on my phone or a snack. Other times I'll set myself study goals, for example, work through Unit 4 parts 5 and 6 and then I get a reward.

There's an app called 'forest' which allows you to set timers, you grow a plant in the timer and plant it in your forest, if going on your phone is an issue whilst trying to concentrate then there's an option where it will kill the plant if you leave the app, which helps for hardcore study sessions for me.

I'm also looking into getting some stim/fidget toys for when I'm watching videos and stuff which I think will help me.

Children
  • Thanks for mentioning that playlist, I'm going to give that a try myself!

I struggle to concentrate working from home (I think it's too quiet?) but music in the background doesn't always help like it did when I was in the office and couldn't concentrate. At the moment I have a playlist made up of songs that don't have English words, but even then they are sometimes still too distracting.

• Thank you for this! I find time management tricky and often forget to take breaks when working so I’ll try the app