Help please

Hi, I’ve just got my diagnosis and I’m a 22 year old female. Supposedly it’s been obvious from when I was young but I’m only just getting the diagnosis now. I guess I’m just looking for advice. I feel weird and different and I don’t know what help I need or where to get it so what helped you guys get through it? I find it hard to work and still have a normal life at home without massive melt downs and my days off are basically just sensory overload attacks over and over again. 
please any advice would be amazing, I feel like I’m going through it all alone even though I have so many people around me. 
thank you

Parents
  • Hello,

this is the place to look for help and information. The NAS site has lots of advice and links so I hope you find advice. It is hard when you are first diagnosed as there is so much information to take in and think about. I was diagnosed back in 2016 and am learning more all the time and finding help and support to help me deal with my issues. You mention sensory overload, is this through noise when out in noisy places like shops? I wear ear defenders and these do make such a difference as it calms me down and allows me to relax and concentrate and not have to deal with the stress of sensory overload. I have ordered a squeeze vest to wear that will give me pressure therapy when needed but I am still waiting for this to arrive so can not comment yet. I do have a weighted blanket and this does make a big difference to my sleep. Is there a local support group near you that could help? I used to attend a monthly social group but have not been able to since lockdown but keep in email contact which is helpful when I have any problems. You are not alone here and there are some amazing  and helpful people on the site. 

• Hello,

this is the place to look for help and information. The NAS site has lots of advice and links so I hope you find advice. It is hard when you are first diagnosed as there is so much information to take in and think about. I was diagnosed back in 2016 and am learning more all the time and finding help and support to help me deal with my issues. You mention sensory overload, is this through noise when out in noisy places like shops? I wear ear defenders and these do make such a difference as it calms me down and allows me to relax and concentrate and not have to deal with the stress of sensory overload. I have ordered a squeeze vest to wear that will give me pressure therapy when needed but I am still waiting for this to arrive so can not comment yet. I do have a weighted blanket and this does make a big difference to my sleep. Is there a local support group near you that could help? I used to attend a monthly social group but have not been able to since lockdown but keep in email contact which is helpful when I have any problems. You are not alone here and there are some amazing  and helpful people on the site. 

Children
No Data