Use of the Puzzle logo in national newspaper

Great to have this positive coverage in the Guardian but do others find it very disturbing that a national newspaper is using the puzzle piece to depict autistic people?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/oct/20/at-47-i-discovered-i-am-autistic-suddenly-so-many-things-made-sense

• I have read the article and I agree that the puzzle piece symbol is offensive but I think that the use of the term ‘symptoms’ as opposed to autistic traits is worse, horrible and harmful. This term was even used by the autistic person herself.

• very disturbing that a national newspaper is using the puzzle piece to depict autistic people?

I'm pretty into Art and think the image is an okay attempt to show differences in people.  I think the article is pretty interesting and pretty much regurgitated stuff I've read in other media describing Autism.  

I think it's a hard pill to swallow being categorised as different for some and an identity oral light bulb moment for others.  I've always been proud to be unique and never wanted to follow the norm.

I see this post is a year old but I'm glad I found it. :-)

• Yes it an outdated logo and that is a concern that some people still believe in the interpretation behind it. What you should be more concerned is the amount of misinformation of autism on youtube and some medical video still refer to autism is a linea line from severe to mild.    

• The symbol is known as an autistic symbol. I know people who when diagnosed have tattooed at puzzle piece on their arm. I personally prefer the rainbow spectrum icons because they descrpt thespectrum more. 

Thanks for the article I will have a read of it.