Struggling to cope with a ASD partner

MY Husband was diagnosed with ASD a couple of years ago and has always had episodes where it has been hard to live with him.  Recently due to Covid and isolation, these have become worse than usual, and I am really struggling.  He has so much hate for the world inside him, which he takes out on me.  I cannot do or say the right thing at the moment and its really getting me down. We are supposed to be decorating our lounge before Christmas, but he has given up on it after removing all the furniture and destroying the carpet. My problem is I find it hard to distinguish between ASD behaviour and a controlling relationship. I seem to spend all my time saying sorry. I try to understand him, but I dont always get it right and spend my life walking on eggshells around him. Feeling quite desperate right now.

Parents Reply Children
  • I have not heard about shut downs until now. He does tend to block everything out using white noise and spends a lot of time sleeping.  I am still struggling to communicate with him as he is still blocking me out.  I am dreading Christmas for my daughters sake.