Unemployment

Hi everyone so in June I quit my job (nasty boss in regards to a chronic illness) and have just been given the autism diagnosis. Now finding myself more lost than ever with trying to figure out what jobs I'd be good at - trying to explain to universal credit about how it affects me in life and work. Anyone know of any good resources for getting back into employment or even just general support at this point...

• whats the company name ?

• Depending on where you are, there's a company's that care for medically ill children. It works perfect with my aspergers and childcare qualifications. Worth a try as the hours are so flexible and support is amazing. No colleague problems or office bitchyness as you work in the community with lovely families x

• wow we could have met , or we came close  where did u do the placement ?  i used to look after placement students for a week or so on regular basis 

• My placement - twenty-one years ago - was in Software Testing. However, in my infinite wisdom, I wanted to pursue programming. (Big Mistake!)

I did a Summer course in Software Testing back in 2015, but nothing came of that.

In the end, I was too inhibited to do extra-curricular work.

But, as Mum said, "There's no use crying over spilled milk!"

• if u get into a big company ( > 10000 employees ) and u're  a fast learner u can move to development. I wasnt smart enough lol

• software testing  --- look for government schemes / apprenceships where they take non-IT people and retrain them into specific IT jobs.  

i was on a scheme like this for a year where u work for 100 pound per week  in an IT company while they train u up in a particular IT skill --- in my case it was software testing.

1. read about software testing

2. look for Crowd testing positions on line eg testbirds---- here u will be paid per bug about 10 quid  it varies. U go thru a training process to get in ----- u need a laptop  to work on. u need to know how to use several browsers and take screen shots when u find stuff wrong.  for crowd testing have a smart phone is also useful.

then look for testing positions when u have say 3- 6 months online crowd testing experience --- if u live near London or Dublin u should be able to get  junior testing jobs

the job market is pretty dire at moment

• Aidie, Probably rude to ask any advice on getting into that sort of thing OR I.T. Related ? 

• u could become a software tester ( less technical than developer )

• I have found while I enjoy working in primary schools its a lot of stress which causes my illness to get worse making me quite ill so looking on moving into data/IT sector

• Hi Bambi sorry for all the stress you’re going through best bet at the moment would be some sort of Christmas temp job could lead to a permanent job.

• I've read the whole discussion Bambi and you sound very equipped and qualified to work with disabled and neurodiverse children. Other than your boss, why do you not want to work children?, Like Aidie said data entry doesn't really exist anymore in the UK as it outsourced to other countries or done automatically through IT. 

You got an NVQ level 2 in childcare have you thought of progressing to a level 3 position to administration rolls in schools, administrative social work. 

I've been trying to figure out what employment path to go on to since the age of 18 and other than experiencing bad employment programmes,multiple work experiences, bad entry level work opportunities and what i know figured to be fake education that give you a certificates in entry level subjects im still no closer to figuring out at the age of 24. 

I would love to train in something IT related but accessing those opportunities without funding and support is out of the question because i live in rural norfolk and have no transportation of my own.      

• 1. supermarkets

2. royal mail is lookin for temps for Xmas 

3. use recruitment agencies asking for admin work  You can do admin work right say yes Slight smile

4. beauty salons are kinda out at moment

5. train as nurse 

6. security ( females have to be searched by femaies )

7 MI6  try all civil services including MI6 

8.  Police ?

9. fire fighter ? we not ?

10 Discordian server admin person Slight smile

u can do anything

Heart

• Im a female yes but I'm 21

• youre a girl right about 18 right ?

• yea i havent seen any in my area for 5-10 years. 

• Yes I type fairly quick and yes it does still exist but due to covid not a lot of those jobs going

• are u a fast typist does data entry exist still ?

• Previously worked in a nursery to get NVQ lvl 2 then went on into a primary school and back to nursery. Feel like these don't work well with me so am looking into going into data entry. I'm currently 21 but never went into uni

• what did u do in your previous job --- how old are you?  are you a graduate ( from uni ) ?

Heart