Autistic burnout advice required from a N/A partner

Good evening.

m

My recently ex partner has not so long ago been diagnosed with autism.

Fairly soon afterwards, she went into what for me can best be described as a total shut down of the life she knew, and in part started to do other / different things to her norm.

She pretty much shut down on communication with myself, had no interest in our relationship, and had pretty much no signs of compassion or care for her world around her.

I’m aware that the news of being told autism is what she has (rather than what has been 20+ years of living as if she was solely a rapid cycle bipolar sufferer) been a shock to the core of her system and beliefs.

With this all being new to me and my ex partner, I don’t have a great understanding of how autism affects someone.

It has been suggested my now ex partner could of experienced an autistic burnout.

If so, what is that like for her? Is there anyone on here that might be able to explain at all?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Ian

Parents
  • She might feel a sensory overload. We Autistic people get that. We can only bear so much light, noise, eye contact, talking, listening. We have more of a limit in that respect than neurotypical people. 

If someone reaches the point where all their senses are stressed to exhaustion, they can withdraw into themselves and seem to stop caring about the world around them.

• She might feel a sensory overload. We Autistic people get that. We can only bear so much light, noise, eye contact, talking, listening. We have more of a limit in that respect than neurotypical people. 

If someone reaches the point where all their senses are stressed to exhaustion, they can withdraw into themselves and seem to stop caring about the world around them.

Children
  • Hi Roswell.

Thank you for you reply.

Pretty much what you’ve described happened in one form or another.

The worst part though was the anger that was venting out.

I can’t pretend to understand fully what it must be like to have all your knowledge and beliefs about yourself and why you act like you do, turned upside down, only to find you are perfect the way you are, you’ve just had the wrong diagnosis.

From my ex partners behaviour, I’m guessing it’s a pretty big head f*ck!!

Throughout our relationship, we dealt with meltdowns, badly, but we did it. We got over them and moved on. They were all with the thinking that she suffered just with bipolar. This time though, it’s been on a whole new level. One I cannot even pretend to know anything about. I just couldn’t reach her in anyway, but, sort of could see, she needed reaching at the same time (maybe a naive thought process!). 
    Anyway, I guess I’m after any information about ‘reaching her’ in an autistic burnout. Is there anything I can do to help, other than give her time and support?

I’ve never experienced anything like this, so I can only imagine how my ex feels. 
    Even if we are no longer a couple, I still want to be there for support and involved in the learning curve now presented in front of her / us.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ian