The White Rice Secret

I'm losing weight fast. I never thought it would be this easy. Every meal I'm eating white rice with or without chicken and vegetables. 1 gram of white rice is 1 calorie. 100g of white rice is quite a big plate. Basically rice takes up more space on a plate, for its weight, than the equivalent for many carbs. It's also really easy to digest.

Ever wondered why so many Thai, Indian, Chinese people are thin? It's because they're eating more white rice than bread, pasta and potatoes. 

1g of the healthiest bread, a sourdough, contains 3g of calories.

1g of spaghetti contains 2g of calories.

1g of potato contains only 1g of calories but potatoes are hard to digest.

But even better than the weight loss is I feel less stressed and anxious. Ever noticed a lot of Thai people seem laidback? Maybe it's the white rice. Note: Brown rice is harder to digest because it contains anti-nutrients that evolved in the rice grain to protect itself from being eaten by predators. White rice is brown rice that has had its husk, bran and germ removed.

Most athletes eat white rice as it's great fuel for physical activity. 

If you put a piece of bread on a plate weighing 100g it won't fill your plate much at all. 100g of white rice will. And while 100g of pasta will fill a plate it won't digest as easily as white rice.

How is it that some Indians are able to run along pulling a rickshaw with their hands, no horse, no car, pulling people along in it? Could it be the white rice?

Parents
  • I'm on a weight loss thing too - I've given up most chocolate & cakes and I'm missing out lunch on most days while doing lots of activity - I've lost 11kg in 3 months - almost 2 stones!    (97 --> 86kg)

I don't often eat rice - only with a Chinese meal and they're pretty fattening with all the tasty sauces.  Smiley

The only real problem is I feel bony where the fat has gone - especially things like knees resting on each other when I'm in bed. 

• Wow, that's a big drop. Keep it up! I get the bony annoyance too. Truth is not many Europeans eat much rice, it's mostly an Asian and Arab thing and the odd African or South American country. The majority of Europe are wedded to bread. I wish we had bakeries here like the French ones with strict rules on how bread is made, as at least then people would be eating the good stuff.

• Now obviously it can be a bit worrying about where your weight loss is going at my particular age. But my weight has stabilised over the last two years, my appetite is really excellent and I do feel better generally. So perhaps it is best to just enjoy it while it lasts. And that doesn't seem to be too difficult. And having retired, I'm really enjoying getting back into the sort of physical outdoor work and skills of when I first started my career.

It might seem a bit pretentious to say that self-hypnosis helped immensely, but I note that some educationalists are beginning to perceive the learning process as a form of trance. And it's not as if you necessarily have to constantly punish yourself to achieve results, as the subconscious often seems to be quite capable of running modified lifestyle regimes without constant conscious input.

I've always liked walking and cycling, but have long avoided anything to do with running.  Why would i want to run through an environment that I want to enjoy and better understand? I largely avoid the competitive side of sports, even though there are some that I enjoy spectating. But I reckon I partly make up for that by being quite competitive about physical work tasks. And frequently weighing yourself can actually be a good motivational and feedback mechanism.

My current pet nutritional peeve is such delivery services of Grab and Food Panda. Sure it is helping to keep the fast food industry alive during and after lockdown, but people are becoming more and more divorced from their own natural ability to produce their own tasty, nutritious and inexpensive food.

• Now obviously it can be a bit worrying about where your weight loss is going at my particular age. But my weight has stabilised over the last two years, my appetite is really excellent and I do feel better generally. So perhaps it is best to just enjoy it while it lasts. And that doesn't seem to be too difficult. And having retired, I'm really enjoying getting back into the sort of physical outdoor work and skills of when I first started my career.

It might seem a bit pretentious to say that self-hypnosis helped immensely, but I note that some educationalists are beginning to perceive the learning process as a form of trance. And it's not as if you necessarily have to constantly punish yourself to achieve results, as the subconscious often seems to be quite capable of running modified lifestyle regimes without constant conscious input.

I've always liked walking and cycling, but have long avoided anything to do with running.  Why would i want to run through an environment that I want to enjoy and better understand? I largely avoid the competitive side of sports, even though there are some that I enjoy spectating. But I reckon I partly make up for that by being quite competitive about physical work tasks. And frequently weighing yourself can actually be a good motivational and feedback mechanism.

My current pet nutritional peeve is such delivery services of Grab and Food Panda. Sure it is helping to keep the fast food industry alive during and after lockdown, but people are becoming more and more divorced from their own natural ability to produce their own tasty, nutritious and inexpensive food.

Children
  • This rather generalising  BBC science video is worthy of some attention, in as much as it confirms that there is mounting evidence that DNA does not automatically determine one's fate. Epigeneticists indicate that minds have the ability to dim (or brighten) the effects of certain genes. I just noted that this vid puts a lot of emphasis on diet and moderate exercise playing a role in suppressing inflammation, with the level of contentment also being very significant. They specifically mention the positive role of meditation. Well, I don't really mind what label they choose to give to heightened levels of concentration and awareness. It also talks about also finding medications that can act as switches. But from that, it isn't hard to imagine that some dietary items might have similar effects.

www.bbc.co.uk/.../your-dna-is-not-your-destiny