The struggling life of an autistic adult on the spectrum

It has been a while since I have been on this site and I thought it was the right time to come on and discuss with other autistic adults and about things. I am 25 years old and live in the Wirral. Recently (last month) my Nanna passed away not from the virus but from other health issues. I miss her so much and her funeral was difficult. I am okay now, but just realising all that is happening with virus etc makes you wonder how short life really is.

I have mentioned on someone’s post that people I use to know in school/college that I remember have moved on with relationships, marriage, kids, houses, jobs etc I understand that I need to get out there to be able to pursue them myself but I am having trouble. I have had now support since my diagnoses in 2017, I live with my parents since I know I won’t be able to cope living on my own. I have no job (been on the six for 4 years+), and I am just getting somewhere with help to start my dream job working with animals. But I feel with this pandemic that I’m not getting anywhere in life.

What I am asking is does anyone have any tips/advice to help me get my life on track? I just want to live a life like everyone else and not be alone, unemployed and unachieved for the rest of my life. I hope I don’t sound too moany or weepy I just need support. Even if it’s just someone to talk to x

Parents
  • Hi Amy,

My advice is to not rush things and take your life one day at a time. All the things you want can happen for you but you have to go slow and at a pace you're comfortable with. People with Autism don't cope so well under pressure so go slow.

Maybe write down some of the things you want to do and assess which one would be the simplest to do. Start of small, one goal at a time. If you try to do everything at once you'll crash and burn. If you still struggle then break the goal down into something smaller, so if it's going to the supermarket, break it down and instead of going to the supermarket go to a smaller shop which will be less busy. It really does work and you'll feel proud of yourself for doing it :) 

Just remember to be gentle with yourself. Take your time, you're only two years older than me and life isn't so short really. I've achieved a lot in the last few years and I surprised myself at how much I did in that time. There's plenty of time, so take it one day at a time. You're not wasting your life, there's plenty of time.

P.S. I love your picture, Tangled is such a good film.

• Hi Amy,

My advice is to not rush things and take your life one day at a time. All the things you want can happen for you but you have to go slow and at a pace you're comfortable with. People with Autism don't cope so well under pressure so go slow.

Maybe write down some of the things you want to do and assess which one would be the simplest to do. Start of small, one goal at a time. If you try to do everything at once you'll crash and burn. If you still struggle then break the goal down into something smaller, so if it's going to the supermarket, break it down and instead of going to the supermarket go to a smaller shop which will be less busy. It really does work and you'll feel proud of yourself for doing it :) 

Just remember to be gentle with yourself. Take your time, you're only two years older than me and life isn't so short really. I've achieved a lot in the last few years and I surprised myself at how much I did in that time. There's plenty of time, so take it one day at a time. You're not wasting your life, there's plenty of time.

P.S. I love your picture, Tangled is such a good film.

Children
  • Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned I don’t like being pressured or rushing things. But I just feel like I am missing out on opportunities, since I don’t go out.

I will however use your idea about writing things down that I would like to do. I am currently revising for my theory as I feel that to do something I love I may need to be able to drive. I am also going to get some support on starting my career with animals from a local women with her own business, so fingers crossed. 

If you don’t mind me asking, what have you achieved I’m these last few years?

I guess with this whole virus thing that I am thinking about my life more.

And thank you, Tangled is one of my favourite Disney films! x