The struggling life of an autistic adult on the spectrum

It has been a while since I have been on this site and I thought it was the right time to come on and discuss with other autistic adults and about things. I am 25 years old and live in the Wirral. Recently (last month) my Nanna passed away not from the virus but from other health issues. I miss her so much and her funeral was difficult. I am okay now, but just realising all that is happening with virus etc makes you wonder how short life really is.

I have mentioned on someone’s post that people I use to know in school/college that I remember have moved on with relationships, marriage, kids, houses, jobs etc I understand that I need to get out there to be able to pursue them myself but I am having trouble. I have had now support since my diagnoses in 2017, I live with my parents since I know I won’t be able to cope living on my own. I have no job (been on the six for 4 years+), and I am just getting somewhere with help to start my dream job working with animals. But I feel with this pandemic that I’m not getting anywhere in life.

What I am asking is does anyone have any tips/advice to help me get my life on track? I just want to live a life like everyone else and not be alone, unemployed and unachieved for the rest of my life. I hope I don’t sound too moany or weepy I just need support. Even if it’s just someone to talk to x

Parents
  • Hello Amy, my name is Scott and I was diagnosed with Level 2 ASD last year. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

I have to say that your life is similar to mine. I also currently live with my parents.

Just a few weeks ago, I was in intensive care in a local hospital with COVID, luckily I am now on the mend.

I too often think about starting relationships that could lead to other things. However, due to my condition, I am afraid of getting into that, due to past experiences of others taking cruel advantage of me.

It took five years from completing my degree, to obtaining a decent job with my local council that is related to my qualification.

Don't worry, everything will work out eventually.

• Hello Amy, my name is Scott and I was diagnosed with Level 2 ASD last year. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

I have to say that your life is similar to mine. I also currently live with my parents.

Just a few weeks ago, I was in intensive care in a local hospital with COVID, luckily I am now on the mend.

I too often think about starting relationships that could lead to other things. However, due to my condition, I am afraid of getting into that, due to past experiences of others taking cruel advantage of me.

It took five years from completing my degree, to obtaining a decent job with my local council that is related to my qualification.

Don't worry, everything will work out eventually.

Children
  • ASD stands for "Autism Spectrum Disorder". There are three levels to it.

• I’m not sure what it means when you say Level 2 ASD as I was just told I have Aspergers/autism.

Don’t get me wrong, but I love living with my parents they help me so much and I feel comfortable in my safe room. Somewhere that feel familiar.

Thank god your ok, I really hope this virus goes soon. I am always at home and only go out when I need too, and if I do go out I always have a mask on etc. I just would like to be able to see if I can try and get out more.

I have had a few relationships in the past and I was always the one ending them because I freak out when 1 week becomes 2 weeks etc. Also I felt the guys I went with didn’t really fit with me after a while. I can admit that I am also scared of getting into a relationship, I would like to have whatever everyone else has but I just can’t get past that feeling.

I am just scared that I am wasting my life and not achieving anything. The only things I have achieved are my GCSE’s, my Hairdressing level 1 qualification and level 2 & 3 Childcare qualifications x