Relationships and dating as an autistic person

I wanted to reach out and ask... how have people found the world of dating? Or those who have had relationships or are in one, how did it actually happen for you?

My dating history hasn’t been great so far and especially with me being of an age where lots of my friends are getting married, buying houses together and having kids, it adds to my anxiety that my life is basically stuck at the start. I don’t live in a great location for social opportunities and realistically I’m going to have a partner 40 miles away but I am ok with that. Some friends have suggested to move away to widen my pool of people but I really don’t think I could cope with that since it would be a massive change and right now I need a lot of family support.

Obviously while the coronavirus is a thing physically meeting people is going to be tricky but me and my mum both agree that there’s no reason why me and a date couldn’t just sit in a park at a distance from each other and chat. It isn’t a complete blocker. But in the current climate I think dating sites are really the only way forward, though I am open to suggestions.

So far I’ve registered on two, which my mum has been great supporting me with as I lack confidence. Not sure if I’m allowed to mention them but I have serious doubts about them. One has so few people on it and the people I’ve been matched with don’t seem very active. The other seems more active generally but there are few people near me and there’s no way of telling when they were last on, and wouldn’t be surprised if they are not active themselves.

There seems to be so few quality sites set up for autistic people and I’m nervous about entering the mainstream ones. Or needn’t I be? I really want to be with someone who understands me and I think definitely that common ground of autism has to be a good thing?

I also wondered about the agency they use on The Undateables, but wonder how useful this would be in the current climate (really wish this virus would go away!!!). Any thoughts, anyone?

Parents
  • Hi everyone, I read this original post and the replies from everyone. I am a mum of an autistic boy and an advocate of people with autism - yes it is difficult and challenging at times, but people on the spectrum are also some of the best I know! I am going to create an app for dating and meeting people on the spectrum. So here's what I want to ask - would you all be interested in becoming my focus group? It means I would take some time to speak with you to understand what you would want from this app. I realise some people may have anxiety at the thought of this, but I would really love anyone who feels comfortable to do this. I will not require anything but your time to connect on a call. Reply to this thread if you could help me and I'll share next steps. Ultimately, the goal is to help the autistic community in love and friendship. 

• Hi everyone, I read this original post and the replies from everyone. I am a mum of an autistic boy and an advocate of people with autism - yes it is difficult and challenging at times, but people on the spectrum are also some of the best I know! I am going to create an app for dating and meeting people on the spectrum. So here's what I want to ask - would you all be interested in becoming my focus group? It means I would take some time to speak with you to understand what you would want from this app. I realise some people may have anxiety at the thought of this, but I would really love anyone who feels comfortable to do this. I will not require anything but your time to connect on a call. Reply to this thread if you could help me and I'll share next steps. Ultimately, the goal is to help the autistic community in love and friendship. 

Children