Do I Give Off Signs That Neurotypicals Notice?

I think I may make neurotypical people uncomfortable even though I've seen them as a stranger for less than a minute.

I've noticed that if I'm out walking, a stranger will say hi to my wife but "ignore" me. When I'm at work, a new client will meet me and a colleague for the very first time, and immediately they'll strike up a conversation, and even when that conversation is three way, they'll keep looking at my colleague, and don't attempt to look in my direction. I'm doing my best to force eye contact, but it matters not, as they aren't even looking my way at any stage.

If I've been around someone a while I might understand, and I'd be trying to get away from the conversation, or looking down all the time, or avoiding eye contact, but this avoidance by them happens in a moment.

The other day I was parked up in the countryside. There were three cars. This couple walked past me to ask another chap for directions.

I seem to be the last person people sit next to on a bus.

And yet other people who I get to know well will say; you're autistic, I'd have never guessed.

It might be me, not them, but there's something in those split second encounters which is passing on some keep away message; whether it's my expression, or something beyond my explanation, I really don't know.

Parents Reply Children
  • I think we must have met a different set of people. I have found that most of them are relatively nice but just want to stay away from ANY trouble & an unknown quantity (such as ASD's) falls in that category. eg we're a magnet for tossers. There are also plenty of tossers too. It's the stupid ones we get to notice as they're too stupid mask themselves & like to assert themselves with violence/bullying. The really really nasty ones, who are do have brains, run the show.