The 'New Normal' ??

so I thought after a few months lock down the aim was to go back to how life was? but noticed a lot lately newscasters etc using this phrase  getting back to 'the new normal'?

But what is it?  and does it include vulnerable and shielded people?  are they saying if you're in this group isolation will be your 'new normal' and you'll never be able to go to group family events again?

The daily update has not mentioned if rules are changing for vulnerable and shielded groups on 1st June?...or when they're talking about stage 2 (June) and stage 3 (July) at which point people in the vulnerable groups are safe to meet up with family again?

Also I can't find any info for things like ..if one family member had also been isolating why can't we chat and have a BBQ in the garden? .. if neither of us have been out in public for 2 months or have any symptoms?  How much greater is the risk if someone whose part of a larger family wants to visit you? (where they've still been going out shopping and members returning to work etc so you've no idea who they've been in contact with and more chance they could bring it into your home?)

Should window cleaners be coming to homes where people are self isolating? Surely they are potentially bringing the virus to you? They also don't seem to consider if you haven't been out for 2 months you haven't been to cash machine to have money to pay them!

Thanks

Kit

Parents
  • Should window cleaners be coming to homes where people are self isolating? Surely they are potentially bringing the virus to you? They also don't seem to consider if you haven't been out for 2 months you haven't been to cash machine to have money to pay them!

...Hear Hear!!

Also - There is no such thing at this time as "The new normal". This is because things have not yet gone back to any kind of "normal". Keep that in mind, and come back to it (to this Thread?) around November, and that should be a "normal"... But then come back in a YEAR, and that should totally be "The New Normal".

Me, Just saying.

• I would guess that many of us here are quite good at normalising ourselves. I've spent most of my life reacting to supposedly stressful situations by just putting the kettle on, and drinking myself out of my catastophising tendency. ;-) Can anyone even begin to suggest why a love of certain routines and rituals might not be the constructive thing to do? OK, it comes over as a bit too cool, controlled and callous quite often, but if it gets a few of us through the 'crisis', why not? it's something I'm good at; and there haven't been too many other things at which I obviously excel. 

Boring though, isn't it!? Well, no, it isn't, actually. I must have a very ingrained survival instinct, which has seen off a few decades already.

I'm not really very interested in all this old & new normal stuff; even though I suppose SOME of it might be helpful to some other folks. I reckon quite a few people are actually coping quite well with this crisis anyway.

• I would guess that many of us here are quite good at normalising ourselves. I've spent most of my life reacting to supposedly stressful situations by just putting the kettle on, and drinking myself out of my catastophising tendency. ;-) Can anyone even begin to suggest why a love of certain routines and rituals might not be the constructive thing to do? OK, it comes over as a bit too cool, controlled and callous quite often, but if it gets a few of us through the 'crisis', why not? it's something I'm good at; and there haven't been too many other things at which I obviously excel. 

Boring though, isn't it!? Well, no, it isn't, actually. I must have a very ingrained survival instinct, which has seen off a few decades already.

I'm not really very interested in all this old & new normal stuff; even though I suppose SOME of it might be helpful to some other folks. I reckon quite a few people are actually coping quite well with this crisis anyway.

Children
No Data