Student finance help

Hello

Has anyone had success applying for student finance - especially the disabled student allowance? My son was diagnosed as Asperger's aged 5 and since then had no professional contact as we have just got on with life. It's clear university will bring huge changes and he is going to need help once there - he's moving approx 3.5 hours journey away. 

Student finance say they need a professional letter stating how his autism affects him day to day. 

Any advice gratefully received.

Parents
  • Yes, I have. I've found it to be helpful and the whole process has been easy. 

My only advice would be to have a look at what you could be awarded beforehand, as the needs assessor won't have time to go through everything. For example, there's the choice between at least two mind mapping pieces of software (Inspiration or MindView are the main ones), they tend to just show you the one they prefer.

• Thank you. Can I ask...it the first instance they want proof from professional about his difficulties. He's not seem a professional since diagnosis....what should I do?

Reply Children