How is everyone coping with the current changes?

Like most with autism I dont like change and I am finding everything really overwhelming and was wondering how others were coping?

It may seem daft but I am not worried about catching it, well obviously I don’t want to catch it but I am not anxious and thinking that I am going to catch it. It’s the lockdown and lack of routine that is sending me mad. I have my set routines and now I have to stay in I cant follow my weekly routines and this is what is causing me the stress. I do feel like your going to think I am being selfish as all I have to do is stay at home and others are putting their lives at risk, I just cant snap out of it.

A few years ago I had bit of a breakdown when things changed too much and it made me really ill, I am worried this may happen again, I live on my own and am really considering ignoring all the rules and just getting out of here but I no that is wrong and I think the stress of breaking the rules would then cause me an issue.

maybe I am over reacting, what is everybody else doing to get through this?, anybody else struggling too?

Parents
  • I hear what you're saying. I have always struggled in employment -- by-the-book is not actually how things should be done and not understanding where the tolerances are. Went self employed last year and love the freedom and doing work I enjoy, but really, really struggle with the lack of routine and predictability, even developing my 'micro-routines' which I can take wherever I go were not quite cutting it and not always achievable; the fact that I am being forced to stay in has allowed me to develop a new routine and have the time an energy to get on with my projects, interests, sleep and fitness goals. Finances and shopping are the only things that really bother me at the moment - not knowing what I can get, where I will have to stand, etc... 

I have an allotment, so I can go there for my daily exercise which is a really lifeline - without this I think it would be very different.

My partner developed a series of daily schedules with 'themes' - maybe you could look to do something similar? 

The change is the difficult part, but perhaps you could start to create a new sense of comfort by developing amended routine which try to make the best of the situation? Easy for me to say as I was getting pretty miserable and stressed with my situation before this - for example, overnight stays from home and 6-hour round trips for work.... 

Hope you figure something out.

• I hear what you're saying. I have always struggled in employment -- by-the-book is not actually how things should be done and not understanding where the tolerances are. Went self employed last year and love the freedom and doing work I enjoy, but really, really struggle with the lack of routine and predictability, even developing my 'micro-routines' which I can take wherever I go were not quite cutting it and not always achievable; the fact that I am being forced to stay in has allowed me to develop a new routine and have the time an energy to get on with my projects, interests, sleep and fitness goals. Finances and shopping are the only things that really bother me at the moment - not knowing what I can get, where I will have to stand, etc... 

I have an allotment, so I can go there for my daily exercise which is a really lifeline - without this I think it would be very different.

My partner developed a series of daily schedules with 'themes' - maybe you could look to do something similar? 

The change is the difficult part, but perhaps you could start to create a new sense of comfort by developing amended routine which try to make the best of the situation? Easy for me to say as I was getting pretty miserable and stressed with my situation before this - for example, overnight stays from home and 6-hour round trips for work.... 

Hope you figure something out.

Children
No Data