Thoughts after diagnosis

It’s four days since I got diagnosed, in this time things have been hard. What with the virus and the autism diagnosis, my head has been spinning. To be honest I’m struggling, mainly due family not being supportive. My work colleagues and supervisor have been awesome an my friends are happy for me.

It’s my family that have hurt me, by being dismissive.

Parents
  • I was in a slightly different boat myself,  i had support from my wife and kids, and my parents kind of always knew there was something not right.

But that being said i have been questioned by a few family members and they did not have issue with diagnosis but from what they said they just did not want to admit that they had an autistic sibling but they also said that they knew there was something  that was not right (if that the best way of putting it) 

I myself am a very all or nothing person and i would write people off very fast and would not think a lot about it a whole lot apart from being told from family members.

I would say give it a little time to settle down if you have only just told them, As it could have come as a shock at first (even though you should have been being supported through this time).But everyone situation is different

You could try educating them on the subject and maybe search up a good vid that covers alot of what you would like to get across to them.

Or falling that you could get the person or team that diagnosis you to phone them up and explain to them, I mean part of my diagnosis they had an interview with my partner, so that could be a possibility if you needed them to explain your situation.

best of luck to you Ed s 

• I was in a slightly different boat myself,  i had support from my wife and kids, and my parents kind of always knew there was something not right.

But that being said i have been questioned by a few family members and they did not have issue with diagnosis but from what they said they just did not want to admit that they had an autistic sibling but they also said that they knew there was something  that was not right (if that the best way of putting it) 

I myself am a very all or nothing person and i would write people off very fast and would not think a lot about it a whole lot apart from being told from family members.

I would say give it a little time to settle down if you have only just told them, As it could have come as a shock at first (even though you should have been being supported through this time).But everyone situation is different

You could try educating them on the subject and maybe search up a good vid that covers alot of what you would like to get across to them.

Or falling that you could get the person or team that diagnosis you to phone them up and explain to them, I mean part of my diagnosis they had an interview with my partner, so that could be a possibility if you needed them to explain your situation.

best of luck to you Ed s 

Children
No Data