Meltdowns

Mine tend to last hours. They are normally prompted by a sudden change in plans. I start crying, shaking, hyperventilating. 

I'm worried that I will drive people away with this behaviour. And at a time like this (coronavirus) the thought of being abandoned is terrifying.

How do you guys PREVENT meltdowns?

Parents
  • I have to admit that I rarely manage to prevent a meltdown. However, in the few cases that I did manage it was because I messaged and talked to my best friend. I don't know if you have a best friend that's as non-judgmental as mine, but talking to my best friend always helps me a lot when I feel close to breaking down. 

• I'm not sure I have a friend of that description; you are very lucky. In what way does talking to your friend help? Do they talk you down? 

• I'm very lucky indeed :-) I couldn't ask for a better friend. It helps because my friend can be objective and helps me be objective, too. It also helps because I'm not alone with my thoughts (overthinking is a big problem for me). However, I had many, many meltdowns where no amount of talking to my friend actually made it go away. I just felt less alone. And that alone ist worth a lot, in my opinion.

• I coped extremely badly. I had a huge meltdown and it took me about five to six months to get over it. I used to be very afraid of people abandoning me, but now that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Maybe it's because I know that at least my best friend would never abandon me.

• How did you cope with losing your friends? Have you ever had a fear of abandonment? I do, and it is often reinforced by people (often 'friends' or partners) abandoning me.

• I used to be like that but I got a lot more independent the past year, due to working full-time, moving out and living on my own and ... because of that terrible breakdown I had that cost me a bunch of friends. I'm glad that I can be on my own, though, I find being with people exhausting.

• I have an insecure-attachment style due to a crap childhood so I feel compelled to be in a relationship at all times. I envy your ability to be content as a single person. Navigating a relationship is overwhelming and scary, particularly now during Covid-19 as I cling to my partner. 

• I had one a couple of years ago and it was quite exhausting. I'm currently not in one and I don't really intend to. I have work, uni, two great friends and I currently don't want to be in any sort of relationship. Also, since my whole federal land is quarantined, I have a great excuse to sit in my flat and be anti-social :D

• Sorry to ask a personal question, but are you able to maintain romantic relationships? I can but I find it exhausting. 

• :D No, they weren't. I've been seeing a psychologist for almost a year now (for anxienty and depression and a gigantic meltdown I had) and last week he said he finally made the connection. I don't think there is a process like that you have to follow here. I'm sure there are formal assessments, but I trust that my psychologist, who has known me for almost a year, knows what he's talking about. It's my fault anyway that he didn't make the connection earlier because I never managed to coherently talk about my issues. 

• It's my thread ^_^

My mother knows my diagnosis because they interviewed her as part of the diagnosis process. Were your parents not interviewed? My mother was shocked at my diagnosis; she thought she had made it clear to them I wasn't an aspie ;)

• I told my two best friends, but nobody else. I kind of want my parents and other people to know, but they wouldn't understand and I don't want them to look at me differently. It's hard enough as it is... Say, are there any rules about spamming a thread like that? Because I feel that's what we are doing :D

• Wow. I only got diagnosed last week too! Have you told anyone IRL about your diagnosis? I ended up announcing it on Facebook mid-meltdown. I wanted to show the finger to anyone who has ever judged or belittled me.

• I feel you. I came here because I felt really lonely with all my issues as well. I got diagnosed only last week and I'm still overwhelmed.

Reply Children
  • I coped extremely badly. I had a huge meltdown and it took me about five to six months to get over it. I used to be very afraid of people abandoning me, but now that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Maybe it's because I know that at least my best friend would never abandon me.

• How did you cope with losing your friends? Have you ever had a fear of abandonment? I do, and it is often reinforced by people (often 'friends' or partners) abandoning me.

• I used to be like that but I got a lot more independent the past year, due to working full-time, moving out and living on my own and ... because of that terrible breakdown I had that cost me a bunch of friends. I'm glad that I can be on my own, though, I find being with people exhausting.

• I have an insecure-attachment style due to a crap childhood so I feel compelled to be in a relationship at all times. I envy your ability to be content as a single person. Navigating a relationship is overwhelming and scary, particularly now during Covid-19 as I cling to my partner. 

• I had one a couple of years ago and it was quite exhausting. I'm currently not in one and I don't really intend to. I have work, uni, two great friends and I currently don't want to be in any sort of relationship. Also, since my whole federal land is quarantined, I have a great excuse to sit in my flat and be anti-social :D

• Sorry to ask a personal question, but are you able to maintain romantic relationships? I can but I find it exhausting. 

• :D No, they weren't. I've been seeing a psychologist for almost a year now (for anxienty and depression and a gigantic meltdown I had) and last week he said he finally made the connection. I don't think there is a process like that you have to follow here. I'm sure there are formal assessments, but I trust that my psychologist, who has known me for almost a year, knows what he's talking about. It's my fault anyway that he didn't make the connection earlier because I never managed to coherently talk about my issues. 

• It's my thread ^_^

My mother knows my diagnosis because they interviewed her as part of the diagnosis process. Were your parents not interviewed? My mother was shocked at my diagnosis; she thought she had made it clear to them I wasn't an aspie ;)

• I told my two best friends, but nobody else. I kind of want my parents and other people to know, but they wouldn't understand and I don't want them to look at me differently. It's hard enough as it is... Say, are there any rules about spamming a thread like that? Because I feel that's what we are doing :D

• Wow. I only got diagnosed last week too! Have you told anyone IRL about your diagnosis? I ended up announcing it on Facebook mid-meltdown. I wanted to show the finger to anyone who has ever judged or belittled me.