First assessment - telling a story with 5 objects

Hi,

I’ve recently had my first autism assessment (online) and towards the end of it I was asked to tell a story with 5 objects I’d chosen. I chose the first 5 things that happened to be on the sofa next to me. I was asked to tell a story with them & I just couldn’t. I told the assessor this & she said it was ok. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Parents
  • Hi Bobontour, I had a similar experience with the assessment task of narrating a picture book story. I described each picture in quite a literal way, saying what I saw and having trouble weaving the pictures together into a story on the spot, and didn't understand at the end that the characters were 'going home'.

• I got the same book! It’s called Tuesday. I didn’t connect the title with the book all the way through. And it’s  only now reading this post I realise they were going ‘home’ I still hadn’t figured that out. That’s what they were doing? Did it say that? I remember being so weird about feeling surprised i’d Been given a kids book that I blanked some of the pages not realising it In the moment, it wasn’t until I searched the book and looked on my own time I realised it wasn’t all just pictures. Very few words I know, but still I dunno what happened in my brain, but I blanked so much of it. And I couldn’t understand any of it. I still don’t even after having another look in my own time. 

• I got the same book! It’s called Tuesday. I didn’t connect the title with the book all the way through. And it’s  only now reading this post I realise they were going ‘home’ I still hadn’t figured that out. That’s what they were doing? Did it say that? I remember being so weird about feeling surprised i’d Been given a kids book that I blanked some of the pages not realising it In the moment, it wasn’t until I searched the book and looked on my own time I realised it wasn’t all just pictures. Very few words I know, but still I dunno what happened in my brain, but I blanked so much of it. And I couldn’t understand any of it. I still don’t even after having another look in my own time. 

Children
No Data