Does EMDR work for traumatised ASD people?

I have been bullied throughout my life and I have nightmares about being bullied in school as well as in workplaces.

I have had countless CBT therapists for depression, social phobia etc. I STILL have flashbacks, I shout out when I’m sleeping because I’ve been having nightmares about the scenarios that have been and gone and I’m being bullied in work again.

I want to try EMDR. Please has anybody on here had this and has it worked for you? How much are sessions roughly? Thanks

Parents
  • I have had light (as in not overly heavy) EMDR therapy from one of my therapists.

Prior to that, I also self-practised it and went as deep as I could with it. The book I learned the techniques from said "do not practice without prior agreement from a therapist". I went and did it anyway but I understand why the cautious message about not self-trying is there. I should state that I have known for many years that I am comfortable going back into my most painful memories.

I found the EMDR techniques to be very useful. I found the work I did on myself to be possibly the most important therapy work I've had so far.

As alluded to earlier, I am someone who prefers to look my past trauma head on and possibly this is part of why EMDR was very helpful and indeed immediately helpful for me.

A good EMDR therapist, I gather, should ensure that the level of probing is appropriate and to provide sufficient care before and afterwards. 

• where do i start is there online stuff i can use ?

i have done self hypnosis and self meditate so i should be able to have a go at this as well

• The way I did things was to read:
    'Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy' by Francine Shapiro

I read the first handful of chapters and then decided to give it a go.

Just for responsibility (for anyone who may skip through to this message), the book does state to get clearance from a therapist first before applying the techniques.

• The way I did things was to read:
    'Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy' by Francine Shapiro

I read the first handful of chapters and then decided to give it a go.

Just for responsibility (for anyone who may skip through to this message), the book does state to get clearance from a therapist first before applying the techniques.

Children