Does EMDR work for traumatised ASD people?

I have been bullied throughout my life and I have nightmares about being bullied in school as well as in workplaces.

I have had countless CBT therapists for depression, social phobia etc. I STILL have flashbacks, I shout out when I’m sleeping because I’ve been having nightmares about the scenarios that have been and gone and I’m being bullied in work again.

I want to try EMDR. Please has anybody on here had this and has it worked for you? How much are sessions roughly? Thanks

Parents
  • Hi there, I received EMDR treatment in 2019 for some trauma I didn’t processed effectively. Prior to this, I received CBT.

To compare the two - CBT was ineffective, talking didn’t help me to reduce the fight or flight response associated with flashbacks. Talking helped me to ‘get it out’ but my mental health did not improve from this alone. I found the EMDR process invasive, in order for it work effectively you have to go back to the time of the trauma and ‘face it’ (so to speak). Which can be tough in itself. Some traumas were erased after a few sessions, however other traumas were more persistent and required many attempts before my flashbacks became more manageable and my overall mental health improved. Being honest, neither treatment removed my flashbacks completely, but the EMDR did allow my brain to understand that the flashbacks were memories instead of trauma happening in the present.

my advice with EMDR is firstly to make sure you take care of yourself after the sessions. I felt quite low for a day or two because the treatment was invasive. I put that down to the amount of ‘processing’ my brain was needing to do. I learned a lot by ‘going back’ to the traumas and I think overall the treatment was better for me than CBT.

Good luck

• Hi there, I received EMDR treatment in 2019 for some trauma I didn’t processed effectively. Prior to this, I received CBT.

To compare the two - CBT was ineffective, talking didn’t help me to reduce the fight or flight response associated with flashbacks. Talking helped me to ‘get it out’ but my mental health did not improve from this alone. I found the EMDR process invasive, in order for it work effectively you have to go back to the time of the trauma and ‘face it’ (so to speak). Which can be tough in itself. Some traumas were erased after a few sessions, however other traumas were more persistent and required many attempts before my flashbacks became more manageable and my overall mental health improved. Being honest, neither treatment removed my flashbacks completely, but the EMDR did allow my brain to understand that the flashbacks were memories instead of trauma happening in the present.

my advice with EMDR is firstly to make sure you take care of yourself after the sessions. I felt quite low for a day or two because the treatment was invasive. I put that down to the amount of ‘processing’ my brain was needing to do. I learned a lot by ‘going back’ to the traumas and I think overall the treatment was better for me than CBT.

Good luck

Children
No Data