The Gym

I haven't been to a gym in ages.  After Christmas, I decided that I really needed to lose a few kilos and get fitter.   So I joined my local David Lloyd club and I have so far been going three times a week for the past three weeks.  I was very nervous at first.  The people, the noise, the light, the temperature all make me anxious.  I have now learnt to try and zone out with my noise-cancelling earbuds and it seems to be working.  I hope to commit to going three times a week at least because the membership is expensive.

Parents
  • buy weights, workout at home... much cheaper... i never understand why people pay like hundreds a month on recurring gym membership to use communal weights that you have to wait for and have to put up with others in the gym and have to do it when you go, when you instead can buy dumbells for £20 and a bar bell set for another £40 and then thats all for price and you can use them at home whenever you want, more than the gym, less than the gym, spaced out over the entire day to meet your needs or laziness rather than being forced to only use them all at once when you go out to a gym. gyms dont make sense to me, they are illogical when you can buy weights cheaper than membership and have greater use of them and more flexible time with them all without the anxiety of going to a place full of egocentric people that you know will be constantly judging each other.

• I don't have the space for it, where I live is so tiny. After I move house it would be great if I have a garage or somewhere that I could put a bench and some weights.

I hate the gym as a place because it's extremely over-stimulating - noisy, music blaring, people shouting, people throwing weights to the ground as hard as they can for some reason (does not make you manly, just put it down properly), and people wearing far too much perfume. I hate the changing room most of all. I can't bear to be in there because of everybody spraying deodorant.

But I do enjoy the physical aspect of going to the gym. It feels good to do exercise and I like shutting off my brain and just being in my own world.

I think if I had a home gym then the only thing I would miss would be seeing fit women in their skimpy outfits haha. It does seem to allow me to lift harder, might be a testosterone boost from seeing an attractive woman.

• ah i dont have the space too but it fits. i live in my parents attic conversion with slanted small roof with barely any head space even. i have my weights to the side of the wall and a space where i lift that that is only just big enough for me to lie down on, not that i lie down or bother to add chest presses or anything to it, mainly bicep curls, shoulder press, lateral raise and front raise and hammer curls mainly.

• ah i dont have the space too but it fits. i live in my parents attic conversion with slanted small roof with barely any head space even. i have my weights to the side of the wall and a space where i lift that that is only just big enough for me to lie down on, not that i lie down or bother to add chest presses or anything to it, mainly bicep curls, shoulder press, lateral raise and front raise and hammer curls mainly.

Children
No Data