Advice for soundproofing

Hello everyone,

As with many of you on here I'm sure, I suffer with an extreme sensitivity to noise. Banging, unpredictable noises, conversations in another room, kids playing etc can be extremely distracting and distressing. I live in a busy house with kids and with a pretty sub standard build quality so noise reduction between rooms is very poor.

My health is deteriorating as I am not able to manage my stress levels or feel I have a safe place. I feel tired and exhausted most of the time. I generally sleep in the day to try and get through the noisy periods but obviously that isn't always an option and sometimes the noise is so loud it wakes me up.

The only option I feel is to soundproof my ceiling (most of noise is from above) however I have no idea what methods/materials are effective. I was hoping someone on here might be able to provide some advice as I am getting pretty desperate.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi - I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. 

Have you ever tried noise cancelling headphones? They might be useful. I tend to play music or podcasts through mine to help me relax. Also, you could try going out walking to get some peace and quiet - somewhere rural (if possible) so that you can just get some fresh air and headspace.

I hope you find something that works for you - it sounds very stressful.

• Hi yes I have noise cancelling ear phones and head phones. However due to the poor build quality foot steps and banging is heard very clearly and they don't block it out much. Also I really don't find it comfortable wearing them all the time.

• Ah, that's a shame. Hope you get some useful tips on soundproofing.

Reply Children
No Data