Emotional regulation.

Hi,

I am in my forties. Struggling with controlling strong emotions on occasion, especially disappointments. My difficulty to regulate these emotions- anger, sadness...is affecting my relationship.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Parents
  • Hi. If you don't mind me asking, how does it affect your relationship?

For example, I can struggle to control my emotions sometimes, so I take some time to myself to try and work out how I feel (or have a meltdown!). Once I'm feeling calmer, I either talk to my partner about what was troubling me, or I apologise if anything I've said may have been hurtful in the heat of the moment. Unfortunately, I hold in my anxiety all day and it tends to come out when I'm at home, so that can be difficult for the people closest to me.

I think communication is really vital, as well as recognising when you just need to take some time to yourself to work out how you're feeling (and why).

• Hi. If you don't mind me asking, how does it affect your relationship?

For example, I can struggle to control my emotions sometimes, so I take some time to myself to try and work out how I feel (or have a meltdown!). Once I'm feeling calmer, I either talk to my partner about what was troubling me, or I apologise if anything I've said may have been hurtful in the heat of the moment. Unfortunately, I hold in my anxiety all day and it tends to come out when I'm at home, so that can be difficult for the people closest to me.

I think communication is really vital, as well as recognising when you just need to take some time to yourself to work out how you're feeling (and why).

Children
No Data