Emotional regulation.

Hi,

I am in my forties. Struggling with controlling strong emotions on occasion, especially disappointments. My difficulty to regulate these emotions- anger, sadness...is affecting my relationship.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

• Hi. If you don't mind me asking, how does it affect your relationship?

For example, I can struggle to control my emotions sometimes, so I take some time to myself to try and work out how I feel (or have a meltdown!). Once I'm feeling calmer, I either talk to my partner about what was troubling me, or I apologise if anything I've said may have been hurtful in the heat of the moment. Unfortunately, I hold in my anxiety all day and it tends to come out when I'm at home, so that can be difficult for the people closest to me.

I think communication is really vital, as well as recognising when you just need to take some time to yourself to work out how you're feeling (and why).

• Hello.......

Since you didnt ask for advice and instead for ideas... here's some musings..

be aware of the now - the present moment; and that the teediacies of life and those things you identify with; the arrangements that were made and let down, or agreements etc to lead to disappointment, to realise non of it truly matters and any dis-regulation you may feel could be the turbulence of both simultaneously realising this but also clamouring to hold onto the meaning you have endowed with these strong emotions and how you personally identify as them/part of you.

I have struggled a lot with emotional regulation in the past, and I am only much better now by literally living in the now; in each moment. I still have times where I am not in control, but these are times when I am stressed and tired etc much in the same way neurotypicals are impacted. When it comes to personal relationships and being let down, the only solice I have found is in my above musings. I do not cling to family or a relationship; I have actually changed my real surname. 

realise that what others do to you, they do not do to you, and it is not done to you, it just is. It is your perception that is taking it personally..... and trying to use words to describe all of this?? Like trying to paint the sky with one shade of blue...

Just to realise you are not who you think you are; literally. You just be

But... I don't know anything really. And i definitely dont know if teediacies is a word but I hope you know what i mean.