At what stage should i tell employer (advice needed)

Im currently going through the early stages of asd assessment, having filled out the RAADS14 and another form a few days ago and now waiting to find out if ill be considered for full assessment.

I also started with another new therapist for my anxiety a few weeks ago, and both this therapist and my previous one have both seperately said they suspect i have aspergers. 

Ive been having a lot of problems at work, im good at my job but really struggle with the people side of things, my line manager knows about my anxiety and therapy appointments, but noone else knows (not even HR or the MDs) 

This is because some people in my company are not very open minded about anxiety/depression and i have seen other employees with MH problems have issues with staff and eventually leave or be sacked. 

My new therapist is encouraging me to research reasonable changes im entitled to in the workplace, and to make my issues known, saying that asd would be treated more seriously and as my asd traits are apparently pretty obvious i should be entitled to reasonable changes/considerations in the workplace

my concern is im worried about telling work or other people that im waiting for an asd assessment, to then have the assessment and be told i do not have asd. Or that i need an actual diagnosis before i can reasonably request changes in my work environment/situation

Id really like to hear some opinions/experiences

Sorry for the ramble it turned into a bit of a brain dump

Parents
  • I would certainly not mention it until you have confirmation of the diagnosis and then after that it is up to you if you want to mention it. It's hard to say if it would be a bad or good thing as people seem to have different experiences and although on paper employers are supposed to cater for MH issues it may not be the case in reality

• Thanks for this, this pretty much confirms my thinking. I think my therapist was trying to reassure me that asd would be treated more seriously than GAD, but im reluctant to disclose without having a full answer. I would feel kind of a fraud using asd as an explanation for my problems when im not diagnosed yet
  • My diagnosis came after losing my last job. The company said that I lost it due to them restructuring the business but I know for a fact that it was because of my struggles with social interaction. I was a trainee design engineer at a company and they had absolutely no time for me to show me what to do. I would ask if I had any work to do and would be told "I'll be with you in a minute" then sit like an idiot with nothing to do. After a while I got fed up of looking stupid asking for work to do infront of others in the room and gave up, then they told me off for doing nothing. I was supposed to be a trainee and they were supposed to be the ones managing me in my opinion. They clearly knew that I didn't have anything to do but I got the blame for it

• "...ive tried hard to improve and cover my communication issues but i just cant maintain the amount of effort it takes for more than a year i just hit a wall and burn out..."

I have felt the same way over many years of trying to find the right job.  Each one, after a couple of years, I would have to leave, usually (with hindsight) through internal fear that they would get to know the real me and not like me.  It's only been the last few years I have recognised this cycle, and I'm trying to rectify it but without much success.  I feel like I'm running out of time in my working life as I'm 48.

• "...ive tried hard to improve and cover my communication issues but i just cant maintain the amount of effort it takes for more than a year i just hit a wall and burn out..."

I have felt the same way over many years of trying to find the right job.  Each one, after a couple of years, I would have to leave, usually (with hindsight) through internal fear that they would get to know the real me and not like me.  It's only been the last few years I have recognised this cycle, and I'm trying to rectify it but without much success.  I feel like I'm running out of time in my working life as I'm 48.

Children
No Data