Does anyone have days when they simply can't speak?

I have been overloaded with work pressure and demands on me, at the same time criticisms of the way I work ("do it faster! "  "less detailed" ) at the same time they want it just as accurate.  Basically  unachieveable and unreasonable demands. This has been making me anxious for some time. 

I can't get out of the assignments because I'm kind of committed to them as an expert in my field and the most experienced person here.  As the pressure has continued to build, the last 2 days my anxiety got so high that I was unable to speak. I have cried a bit (on the stairs) but not spoken. I feel overwhelmed and overloaded. 

I have Aspergers with a high PDA profile.

Does anyone else have these days? it's awful, and I feel stupid afterwards. I would describe some other feelings if i had them, but I really suck at identifying feelings and I suck at talking to anyone about it without breaking down. The only thing i feel like is a storm raging inside me.

Parents
  • That sounds tough. I haven't researched PDA much but I imagine that it can't be easy to manage with demands from work.

The most important thing here is your mental health, and it sounds like something in you is telling you that it's under fire. Are there workarounds? What would work do if you went off sick (which may happen anyway unless something changes soon)? Can you look forward to a time in the near future when deadlines are more relaxed? Can you submit holding responses?

Your managers have a duty of care over your stress levels - can you approach them saying "This is the situation, if I don't change something I fear I will have to take sick leave, I have a proposal that we do X,Y,Z"?

• That sounds tough. I haven't researched PDA much but I imagine that it can't be easy to manage with demands from work.

The most important thing here is your mental health, and it sounds like something in you is telling you that it's under fire. Are there workarounds? What would work do if you went off sick (which may happen anyway unless something changes soon)? Can you look forward to a time in the near future when deadlines are more relaxed? Can you submit holding responses?

Your managers have a duty of care over your stress levels - can you approach them saying "This is the situation, if I don't change something I fear I will have to take sick leave, I have a proposal that we do X,Y,Z"?

Children
  • I appreciate the concern and thoughtful replies from both you and . I tend to disclose way too much information and I have done it again. I always give too much background to every story. 

I just wanted to ask if there were others that went mute when they got stressed.  

Regarding the work, it's kind of how it is in the field of my work. I find it very hard to be untruthful as i take everything as literal and factual. I have not been off sick for more than 15 years and I have got a reputation as someone who delivers, so I can't back out now. I wouldn't be able to sit at home knowing others had to cover my job.