My GP thinks asperger's is a "psychiatric medical condition that requires routine psychiatry appointments"

Is my GP correct? Can I challenge this?

I have a diagnosis of high-functioning asperger's but that's all. I don't need appointments with psychiatry to keep trying to get me to take medication. There's actually an anti-psychotic called Risperidone which is actually approved for "irritability caused by autism". No joke.

Parents
  • Your gp is wrong.     Autism is a built-in thing that you can't fix - but a lot of life's problems can cause you all sorts of processing issues - typically, we tend to have black or white thinking - things are either right or wrong - but it seems that most 'normal' people seem to work in a very grey area where lies and falsehoods are ok and continual contradiction is perfectly acceptable.     

As time goes by, all this garbage we are subjected to causes all sorts of stress for us - nothing makes sense so we can't process it so we often appear depressed - and that's when we hit the local mental health team - and it's the medication highway from there onwards.    Smiley

Some people may function better when slightly medicated - everyone's experiences are different so it's a very personal thing.

• Your gp is wrong.     Autism is a built-in thing that you can't fix - but a lot of life's problems can cause you all sorts of processing issues - typically, we tend to have black or white thinking - things are either right or wrong - but it seems that most 'normal' people seem to work in a very grey area where lies and falsehoods are ok and continual contradiction is perfectly acceptable.     

As time goes by, all this garbage we are subjected to causes all sorts of stress for us - nothing makes sense so we can't process it so we often appear depressed - and that's when we hit the local mental health team - and it's the medication highway from there onwards.    Smiley

Some people may function better when slightly medicated - everyone's experiences are different so it's a very personal thing.

Children
  • I've been on and off anti-depressants all my life, I've never asked for any of them and all the prescriptions were written on either what my mum or Social Worker has told or passed onto Psychiatry. I didn't find any benefit from any of them, I don't quite understand what was meant to happen since I didn't feel depressed or anything when they were prescribed and some do have unpleasant side-effects and are quite difficult to be on. Mental numbness, loss of motivation, and sexual side-effects are amongst the common side-effects. I find I can function wayy better without them.