Travel anxiety-anyone else have this?

Hi,

Am curious to know if anyone here suffers from travel anxiety? When I was little occasionally I used to suffer from bad anxiety when we had to travel than the few miles into our town, but the 45 miles to where my grandparents live was too much and resulted in anxiety and attacks leading up to the day in question. Then on the day of travel, we would take my dads car, if I went nine times out of ten I'd have a panic attack and end up sick along the way.

I'm a bit older now but my travel anxiety is even worse now. Any journey even the short ones into town make me so anxious and give me anxiety symptoms leading up to it and on the day.

I never go anywhere now. No job, no friends just extreme anxiety. Also another form of this is that when I'm in the car and travelling I need the toilet and need to wee literally within five minutes of the journey starting. And on hour long journeys it becomes so difficult, especially as most public toilets are closed here now.

This morning I was meant to go with my dad to see my grandma but the anxiety was severe and I backed out and now I feel so guilty and bad.

I know that the logical thing to do is to go to the doctors but I get severe panic attacks when I go so I don't go.
But I realize that this is becoming really bad for me.

Parents
  • Thank you for your replies.

I have read them all, almost hard to believe this is updated three years later. Slight smile

I am here but lurk, don't message much.

• Post Covid, travel has become much more unpredictable due to climate change issues and flight disruptions, rail strikes are increasingly commonplace - it’s become too risky to travel without a chaperone now, given my travel nightmare leaving from Dublin and at Holyhead in early October 2022, stranded for 2 days and unable to get back to Manchester - due to EU climate change laws, the Irish government wants to ban short haul flights between Ireland and the U.K. and I would not be surprised if they try to ban diesel trains, diesel coaches between Manchester - Holyhead and diesel ferries between Holyhead and Dublin as well - living alone in the U.K. and having family in Rural Ireland outside of Dublin this is going to end up being a real hassle  

• I do not use public transport very often but I've read about how bad it's getting.

Sorry you were stranded, that must have been awful experience for you.

I am lucky that I'm in a small village, my family is all but local and the ones who are not are only ten minutes up the road.

Travelling sounds bad now, no longer reliable like it was pre Covid.

• I do not use public transport very often but I've read about how bad it's getting.

Sorry you were stranded, that must have been awful experience for you.

I am lucky that I'm in a small village, my family is all but local and the ones who are not are only ten minutes up the road.

Travelling sounds bad now, no longer reliable like it was pre Covid.

Children