Trick or treating: seriously scared

I live on my own now because I have recently moved into a flat. I am very worried about the prospect of pesky trick or treaters (complete strangers) knocking on my door on the 31st. Of course I would not answer. I never answer the door to strangers/cold callers. But would they then do a nasty criminal prank? Like throw egg at my flat or set fire to a bin? I am probably just being paranoid. I live in a nice area with no antisocial behaviour record, but I am normally with my parents on the 31st. Thankfully, the last couple of years no-one has called, but some children knocked on the door a few years back demanding cash - 'trick or treat' they call. My Dad gave them money - I personally think this was wrong, it is not charity but glorified begging and would normally not be tolerated - I repeat, it is fine with family and friends, but this was not. I have Aspergers, I hate being disturbed, and I am worried some nutter will cause me grief on the 31st. I don't want some stupid sign on my door, so what can I do?

Parents
  • I completely agree and sympathise with people resenting the intrusion into the privacy and sanctuary of their homes... and I agree that there is something particularly 'crossing a line' about this whole idea... and particularly the bizarre notion that anti-social and destructive behaviour is somehow appropriate on one night of the year, out of tradition...

BUT...

I grew up in a small rural village, where everybody mostly knew each other by name already, and so trick-and-treat was just like a fun-game of visiting people you mostly knew, in costume for sweets and chocolate... the idea of burning a bin on somebodies doorstep was totally out of that frame-of-reference, and even egging somebodies house... I don't know, I can't imagine ever having done it.

Standard procedure for all involved was to stock-up with a big box of cheap sweets/chocolate, and just give a handful to anybody who came knocking (it was making sure you were very well stocked too, as you got to eat any left-overs yourself, afterwards).

It was very rarely money that was given (which was a disappointment when you got it, as you couldn't then take it home and immediately eat it) and it was more of a silly game, and ritualised fun than anything - I mean, like: why bother wrapping up presents at Christmas/birthdays, really, basically for prolonging the excitement of not knowing what it is and bringing more of a ritual to giving, collecting, unwrapping and so-on.

That's all I wanted to say - Trick & Treat isn't ALWAYS bad.

Just ALMOST all of the time. :)

• I completely agree and sympathise with people resenting the intrusion into the privacy and sanctuary of their homes... and I agree that there is something particularly 'crossing a line' about this whole idea... and particularly the bizarre notion that anti-social and destructive behaviour is somehow appropriate on one night of the year, out of tradition...

BUT...

I grew up in a small rural village, where everybody mostly knew each other by name already, and so trick-and-treat was just like a fun-game of visiting people you mostly knew, in costume for sweets and chocolate... the idea of burning a bin on somebodies doorstep was totally out of that frame-of-reference, and even egging somebodies house... I don't know, I can't imagine ever having done it.

Standard procedure for all involved was to stock-up with a big box of cheap sweets/chocolate, and just give a handful to anybody who came knocking (it was making sure you were very well stocked too, as you got to eat any left-overs yourself, afterwards).

It was very rarely money that was given (which was a disappointment when you got it, as you couldn't then take it home and immediately eat it) and it was more of a silly game, and ritualised fun than anything - I mean, like: why bother wrapping up presents at Christmas/birthdays, really, basically for prolonging the excitement of not knowing what it is and bringing more of a ritual to giving, collecting, unwrapping and so-on.

That's all I wanted to say - Trick & Treat isn't ALWAYS bad.

Just ALMOST all of the time. :)

Children
No Data