Trick or treating: seriously scared

I live on my own now because I have recently moved into a flat. I am very worried about the prospect of pesky trick or treaters (complete strangers) knocking on my door on the 31st. Of course I would not answer. I never answer the door to strangers/cold callers. But would they then do a nasty criminal prank? Like throw egg at my flat or set fire to a bin? I am probably just being paranoid. I live in a nice area with no antisocial behaviour record, but I am normally with my parents on the 31st. Thankfully, the last couple of years no-one has called, but some children knocked on the door a few years back demanding cash - 'trick or treat' they call. My Dad gave them money - I personally think this was wrong, it is not charity but glorified begging and would normally not be tolerated - I repeat, it is fine with family and friends, but this was not. I have Aspergers, I hate being disturbed, and I am worried some nutter will cause me grief on the 31st. I don't want some stupid sign on my door, so what can I do?

Parents
  • I used to get really wound up in the previous place I lived.

It didn't help that the person I shared with would always answer the door, and always gave out loads of sweets and money to trick or treaters.

On the occassions when he wasn't around I went from being, not scared, but wound up by them, to answering the door but being really surly, saying "No", and just closing the door (which did result in the odd egg being thrown on occasion), and then in the end I just ignored them.

Even if you have the lights on, and it's obvious you're home, if you don't answer they'll just go away.

Of course, you make sure that anyone that might come round and whom you'd want to answer the door to is aware of this, so that they can phone you (or arrange a secret knock/bell ring with them).

Where I live now we didn't get them last year, and there's been none this weekend, so I think I don't have to worry any more.

• I used to get really wound up in the previous place I lived.

It didn't help that the person I shared with would always answer the door, and always gave out loads of sweets and money to trick or treaters.

On the occassions when he wasn't around I went from being, not scared, but wound up by them, to answering the door but being really surly, saying "No", and just closing the door (which did result in the odd egg being thrown on occasion), and then in the end I just ignored them.

Even if you have the lights on, and it's obvious you're home, if you don't answer they'll just go away.

Of course, you make sure that anyone that might come round and whom you'd want to answer the door to is aware of this, so that they can phone you (or arrange a secret knock/bell ring with them).

Where I live now we didn't get them last year, and there's been none this weekend, so I think I don't have to worry any more.

Children
No Data