Trick or treating: seriously scared

I live on my own now because I have recently moved into a flat. I am very worried about the prospect of pesky trick or treaters (complete strangers) knocking on my door on the 31st. Of course I would not answer. I never answer the door to strangers/cold callers. But would they then do a nasty criminal prank? Like throw egg at my flat or set fire to a bin? I am probably just being paranoid. I live in a nice area with no antisocial behaviour record, but I am normally with my parents on the 31st. Thankfully, the last couple of years no-one has called, but some children knocked on the door a few years back demanding cash - 'trick or treat' they call. My Dad gave them money - I personally think this was wrong, it is not charity but glorified begging and would normally not be tolerated - I repeat, it is fine with family and friends, but this was not. I have Aspergers, I hate being disturbed, and I am worried some nutter will cause me grief on the 31st. I don't want some stupid sign on my door, so what can I do?

Parents
  • hi Hope - as bananas says, most of us don't like trick or treaters.  Be reassured as you live in a nice area area.  I don't think there are many trick or treaters as there used to be, at least not where we live.  If you have some thick or lined curtains, then make sure they're shut tight so light doesn't show thru.  You don't say whether you live on the ground floor or upstairs + how easy it is to gain access if you're above the ground floor.  I live in a house, we shut our curtains, it's dark anyway, and don't answer the door if anyone shd knock.  It's been several years since anyone knocked.  Bananas suggestion of putting headphones on to listen to music or watch tv is good, as is going out, if you feel like it, including the reminder that if by any chance there are trick or treaters they're gone by 9ish.  Please don't let the one time your dad gave them some money grow so large in your mind that it gets out of proportion. As you say, you wouldn't answer your door.  The odds are that no-one will knock but if they do they'll think no-one is in.  Then they'll go away.  bw   

• hi Hope - as bananas says, most of us don't like trick or treaters.  Be reassured as you live in a nice area area.  I don't think there are many trick or treaters as there used to be, at least not where we live.  If you have some thick or lined curtains, then make sure they're shut tight so light doesn't show thru.  You don't say whether you live on the ground floor or upstairs + how easy it is to gain access if you're above the ground floor.  I live in a house, we shut our curtains, it's dark anyway, and don't answer the door if anyone shd knock.  It's been several years since anyone knocked.  Bananas suggestion of putting headphones on to listen to music or watch tv is good, as is going out, if you feel like it, including the reminder that if by any chance there are trick or treaters they're gone by 9ish.  Please don't let the one time your dad gave them some money grow so large in your mind that it gets out of proportion. As you say, you wouldn't answer your door.  The odds are that no-one will knock but if they do they'll think no-one is in.  Then they'll go away.  bw   

Children
No Data