Does anyone else feel as though there thoughts and feelings are invalid???

So I’ve noticed that since they said I may be autistic people have just completely disregarded what I say, like my thoughts and feelings don’t matter or are invalid because I am autistic! People have even gone as far to say things like “you think that because of your autism though” ERM NO I DONT I THINK THAT BECAUSE I THINK THAT AND I AM VALID!!!!! Any help with this or even just sharing of thoughts is welcome! 

• Yes...

I used to visit the Samaritans branch in the town I live in and was treated like a piece of dog poo by the old people who volunteer there. 

Got kicked out of the mental health team even though I've attempted suicide several times.

In school I was bullied severely, told the headmaster, they did not effectively stop it, I had to stop going to school.

I wrote a novel, 400 pages, gave a copy to a psychologist I had, a GP, a few other people, none of them ever bothered to read it. 

Painted paintings, no one bought them, I ended up leaving them on a pavement.

I learned to read tarot cards over several years, gave readings to people, which actually helped them, then they cut off contact with me as they were afraid of the unknown.

I'm a social outcast.

My thoughts and feelings are invalid as far as other people are concerned!

• Hello,

I thought it was just my family treating me like that! I get this a  lot and yes, it is so frustrating when trying to talk with people. Your thoughts are more than valid and says more about those people ignoring you than it does about you. I tend to keep trying to break down the communication barrier until they listen.

• I have been arrested for doing research on the internet but the police accused me of malicious actions. Court found me not guilty but life destroyed 

• I could not have worded this better myself! This is exactly what people do to me. I find it so frustrating!!!!!!! 

• Sounds like your having similar issues to me! I hope with time you can sort these out. People just don’t seem to think! Just because we appear devoid of any emotion does not mean that we do not experience emotion and that we aren’t valid as people. This annoys me immensely. Maybe one day it will be fixed! 

• I have had this experience too.... And also people that over analyse your view on a situation (mainly when your opinion is different to theirs) and try and work out why 'your Autism may be making you think that way' ... As opposed to it just being a valid opinion that you hold because you are human and you have put effort into considering the possibilities and working out all options that exist. I do appreciate their effort to try and understand from a perspective of someone with autism....and believe it comes from a good intention in this respect but at times it makes me feel like I have got my answer/opinion fundamentally 'wrong' or my understanding of the situation is 'lacking' because of Autism. The truth is my autism enables me to see situations with the clarity of more objective thought rather than based on emotion and personal relationships... and to carefully analyse multiple perspectives because I have had to do this to survive!

• My partner is in such complete denial, I can't even mention my self-discovery/diagnosis. She seems to think i have to be micromanaged to the point where I feel largely irrelevant. There are certain completely unmentionable words, but we do still skirt around the subject quite a bit, nonetheless. It has occurred to me that she might even be somewhat neurodiverse herself, and actually knows it in some shape-or-form. But I do have an approach that might eventually break some walls down. Rather than engage in point-scoring thru' fairly complex issues, I set myself to do very simple household tasks that definitely need doing, but which none of the local builders can be bothered with. By concentrating hard on task, one thing at a time, and planning a lot of things in some depth, I hope eventually she will get the message that I have at least some valid things to say. and do. I also have some thoughts of gardening, her favorite topic I spent a great deal of my early career doing outdoor occupations, so I do have some experience.

We have very different ways of doing these tasks, but my method tends to come more from previous work experience, rather than flat-out economizing. But there is nothing that gives me greater satisfaction than doing things inexpensively. I sometimes even make my own tools.

Let's just say I have made my point in a few minor skirmishes, but I suppose there will be some bigger battles ahead. I do actually find quite a few ways to relax into jobs. I'm the one who has the GAD diagnosis, but actually she is a far more anxious person than myself, despite her strong ability to socialize and network; things of course that I not too good at. That all sounds just a bit too cool and calculating perhaps. I am seemingly a bit devoid of emotion; but it is there, if I'm given enough time and space for it to emerge. A big part of the problem really is that we spend almost all our time together, as I have almost no one else to talk to. Hence my desire to return to outside work, with a umpteenth career change. (I'm sort of retired right now, but I'm still quite busy on many days.)

We really do get to talk about some big local & global issues, but it seems that our own big issues are never up for real discussion.

And yes, I do feel quite invalidated by other people too. So much so, that I have told very very few people about my discovery.